Gecko Five is positioned to become the fastest-growing modern sports media brand in Africa. We aim to create the largest reach and engagement of millennials and Gen Z audiences across Africa. Every month, African millennial audiences will turn to Gecko Five publications across multiple channels for impactful conversation around the interests and issues engaging sports today. Gecko Five was founded in 2020 and is headquartered in Lagos, Nigeria.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Writer
- This role reports to the Editorial Lead and works closely with our content editors, marketing team, and sales team.
- We would prefer a candidate based in the Lagos mainland area, however, are open to accepting qualified remote candidates.
- Gecko Five is looking for a Writer / Creator to develop long-form and short-form content delivering exceptional narrative storytelling alongside vital interviews and conversations. You will work closely with the Editorial Lead to help build the Ball Gecko’s authority as the primary destination for nuanced, thought-provoking, and entertaining shows, essays, op-eds, and reported pieces that explore the experience of being a fan, player, or key figure in the football theatre.
- You will be responsible for drafting, writing, and voicing materials that elevate the conversation around football through strong writing, thoughtful angles, and an instinct for the things that delight, torment, and puzzle fans and the football-curious alike.
- The ideal candidate will be well-versed in football fan culture – from the conflicted emotions around “Liverpool’s long-awaited title win” to the way fans are navigating the injury and covid-19 roller-coaster of 2020 – and be as comfortable coordinating celebrity interviews and securing exclusives as reaching out to influencers and writers to commission columns, personal essays, and op-eds. A dedication to service, humor, and inclusivity is key for this role, along with a solid network of freelancers from a diverse array of backgrounds.
- Be reactive to the day’s football(sports) news and brainstorm creative second-hour or second-day angles, while also thinking about the stories that aren’t being told and how to bring new voices and topics to Gecko Five platforms
- Produce an average of between 3 and 10 stories per week.
- Work closely with the Editorial Lead and ‘Chief Hustler’ to entertain and inform our audience by presenting information in an accessible, simple, and attractive way.
- Collaborate closely with the culture and editorial(reportage) teams to ensure the brand’s coverage of trending and timely topics is fresh, thoughtful, and informed.
- 5+ years editing and writing experience in (ideally) digital media, with a proven interest in football(sports) topics.
- Proven track record of producing articles that move the conversation.
- Comfortable networking and attending events on behalf of the brand.
- A sense of fun, urgency, and a commitment to being part of a tight-knit team.
- A sense for what makes a Gecko story.
- Excite and inspire with an infectious curiosity and optimistic approach.
- Ability to maintain natural gait and projection in front of the camera.
- Experience scripting or editing compelling, character-driven stories or narrative podcasts.
- Ability to write and edit quickly without compromising brand integrity, voice, or mission.
- Strong display-writing and story-packaging skills.
- Strong associations within African and global pop culture and a keen understanding of what’s next in the millennial and Gen-Z subcultures.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should send their Cover Letter, Resume, and link to relevant writing and editing samples to: [email protected] using ” Writer, BallGecko” as the subject of the mail.
Application Deadline: 26th August, 2021.