Green Concern for Development (GREENCODE) is a National registered NGO with CAC No: CAC/IT/NO 25643 and has been in operation for over 10 years. Our mission is to work with the poor and socially excluded people and government for the promotion of environmental and human rights protection in communities in Nigeria, aimed at poverty reduction through education, information sharing, research, training and direct impact interventions are in humanitarian emergency response and development, with physical presence in Borno, Yobe, Adamawa, Abuja, Cross River, Akwa Ibom States.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: WASH Engineer
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Employment Type: Contract
- The WASH Engineer will work within Bornu and specifically in Maiduguri and in its host communities with possible travel to needed areas.
- The main responsibilities will include working to design and improve the technical engineering implementation aspects of the GREENCODE WASH program in managing areas of water and sanitation technology including designing, quantifying, specifying of boreholes, preparing contractual documents and managing them, managing geophysical studies, submersible and hand pump installation and repairs, submersible and hand pump repair and maintenance training, designing and constructing water distribution systems, pump testing, water quality testing, hand dug well construction, and/or latrine construction.
- The WASH Engineer will also be responsible in coordinating and leading any emergency relief situations involving WASH efforts, creating and drafting technical designs, and submitting regular reports on the work being completed.
Main Duties & Responsibilities
- Assess the needed rehabilitation WASH works in infrastructure.
- Supervise the implementation of the WASH Projects in Maiduguri.
- In coordination with Project Manager, implement project activities in accordance with the project guidelines and targets.
- Create BoQ and design and assist in tendering documents.
- Review designs, specifications, BOQ and conditions of contract issued by Water related agencies and attend all site level meetings with Contractor and State Government agencies on Water Management.
- Provide supervision, technical assistance and project management skills to local staff within operational areas of Maiduguri.
- Coordinate, manage resources and implement WASH activities, including constructing and rehabilitating water supply and sanitation systems, community rehabilitation and promoting good hygiene practices to the returnees within operational areas.
- Monitor and inspect private contractor work at vital construction milestones per project schedule.
- Conduct WASH rapid needs assessments in the field.
- Prepare project technical reports, and assist Sector Manager in project proposals and periodic reports.
- Assist in facilitation of the promotion of WASH program impact on and potential for conflict between beneficiaries and non-beneficiaries, and adjust program accordingly.
- Develop design plans, working drawings, technical specifications, bill of quantities as per approved standards by the Ministry of Water Resources and Irrigation and the Ministry of Physical Infrastructure for all construction works outlined on the project designs for the said projects, including emergency sanitation facilities.
- As a result of the assessments, assist with identification of specific project locations, design and implementation of appropriate WASH interventions in coordination with Project Manager.
- Assist in the preparation of the specifications and documentation for the procurement of key WASH related supplies in coordination with the Project Manager.
- When required, assist in establishing and maintaining Partner led coordination’s through WASH cluster for WASH interventions in implemented communities.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Civil / Environmental / Architecture / Public Health Engineering.
- Experience in designing and putting bill of quantities, WASH facilities like toilet, bathing cubicles, water supply lines and hygiene promotion for affected people in a community.
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals;
- Ability to write routine reports and correspondence;
- Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions;
- Fluency in written and speaking of local language and English.
- At least three (3) years’ work experience in WASH and similar role
- Proficient in Auto CAD, EPANET 2, Microsoft Word, Excel, and Outlook;.
- Have strong interpersonal skills (communication, give effective feedback and be a team player)
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should click on the link below containing the GREENCODE’s Competency Form, download form, fill and submit to the following e-mail address: [email protected] and copy [email protected]
- The title of the position for example “WASH Engineer” must be indicated in the subject line of your e-mail. Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
- The position is valid for the duration stated, we don’t pay relocation allowance or provide house for field staff. Only applicant that adhere to the full instruction in this advert will be attended to.
- Applicants must be resident in Maiduguri and speaks the local language (Hausa and Kanuri) fluently.
- Applications will be assessed on a rolling basis
Application Deadline 29th August, 2021.