Imo State University was established in 1981 through law No. 4 passed by the Imo State House of Assembly. Established with the vision of pursuing the advancement of learning and academic excellence, the university has been unrelenting in the pursuit of its mission of becoming a citadel of learning, a community with the trademark of excellence in teaching, research and service to humanity, a catalyst as well as an agent for development.
Applications are invited from qualified candidates for the position below:
Job Title: Vice Chancellor
Location: Owerri, Imo
Responsibilities / Functions
Responsibilities / Functions In accordance with the Imo State University Law No 5 of 2004, the Vice Chancellor shall:
- In relation to the University take precedence over all other members of the University.
- Have the general functions conferred on him by this Law, of directing the activities of the University; and
- To the exclusion of any person or authority, be the Chief Executive Officer of the University and Chairman of Senate, Convocation and Congregation.
- Be competent to advise Council on all matters affecting the policy, finance and administration of the University, from time to time 6. Be responsible to Council in ensuring that peace, law and order are maintained on campus; and
- Be responsible for maintaining discipline in the University.
- Also be a member of Council and all its Committees, including Committees wholly or partially appointed by Senate.
Qualities and Qualifications
A candidate for the post must possess the underlisted qualities and qualifications:
- Be a University Professor with a minimum of 20 years of academic or cognate experience of which ten (10) years will be at the rank of a professor. Furthermore, the prospective candidate must possess a Ph.D in his/her discipline and must not be more than 65 years on appointment.
- Be of very high academic standing in his/her discipline such as to command respect national and internationally;
- Possess a thorough understanding of the MISSION and the mandate of Nigerian Universities, especially those of Imo State University and must possess the developmental and managerial skils to pilot Imo State University meaningfully in a developing society with rapidly changing needs and values.
- Be a person with proven competent leadership qualities who would command the respect and loyalty of staff and students of the University, provide the necessary bridges between the various segments of the University Community on the one hand and between the University and its immediate and wider communities on the other hand;
- Be of strong and unimpeachable character with high level of probity and integrity;
- Be moraly sound and enjoy robust physical and mental health He should be fully ICT compliant.
- Be an accomplished administrator and manager of people and resources at a level sufficiently high to pilot the affairs of the University.
- Have the experience of leading strategic developments and innovations;
- Have the ability to command the respect of the academic community and foster interpersonal relations and team work.
Terms and Conditions of Service / Remuneration
- The remuneration and other conditions of service are as applicable to the post of a Vice-Chancellor in Nigerian Universities and as may be determined from time to time by the Governing Council.
- The successful candidate will hold the post of Vice-Chancellor for a single term of 5 (five) years.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates who meet the above specifications must send 30 (thirty) copies of their signed Curriculum Vitae (CV) which must include the following:
- Full Name
- Date of Birth
- Permanent Home Address
- Current Postal Address including e-mail address and telephone contact.
- Marital Status
- Number of Children (with age)
- Institutions Attended (with dates)
- Academic Qualifications (with dates), including FSLC.
- Professional Qualifications with dates
- Honours, Distinctions and Membership of Learned Societies and Professional bodies. Outstanding publications, discoveries or inventions giving all relevant details
- Working experience in the University system (giving names of institution(s) and dates) Details of Administrative, Fund-attraction and Managerial Experience in the University system.
- Specific services to local, national and international communities giving dates, institution establishment and status
- Present Employment, Status, Salary and Employer
- Extra-Curricular Activities, and;
- Names and Addresses of three Referees (one of whom must, where appropriate, be the head of the establishment where the applicant Currently works).
All Applications should be submitted in a sealed envelope (s) and marked “Vice Chancellor” at the top left-hand corner of the envelope and addressed to:
The Acting Registrar,
Imo State University, Owerri,
Owerri, Imo State.
- Each application should be accompanied by 30 (thirty) copies of a statement of the candidate’s vision for the University in the next 5 (five) years in not more than 1,000 words and not less than 600 words.
- In the case of candidate(s) dentified and nominated by the search team, each application must be accompanied by a letter of consent duly signed the candidate.
- The sealed envelope(s) containing the application should be marked Vice Chancellor at the top left-hand corner and forwarded in time to reach the Acting Registrar no later than 4 (four) weeks from the date of this publication.
- All applications, Curriculum Vitae, Referees Reports and other relevant documents should be submitted under confidential cover
Application Deadline 4th April, 2022.