Gecko Five is positioned to become the fastest-growing modern sports media brand in Africa. We aim to create the largest reach and engagement of millennials and Gen Z audiences across Africa.
Every month, African millennial audiences will turn to Gecko Five publications across multiple channels for impactful conversation around the interests and issues engaging sports today.
Gecko Five was founded in 2020 and is headquartered in Lagos, Nigeria.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Specialist – Gaming & Community, Ball Gecko
Location: Ikeja, Lagos
Employment Type: Full-time
- This role reports to the Chief Hustler and works closely with the Production, Social, Editorial, and Programming teams.
- Gecko Five is looking for a Competitive Gamer (particularly FIFA) that will play against other players, to the best of their ability, to ensure the successful delivery of our gaming tournaments at Ball Gecko. The successful candidate will have knowledge and experience of playing FIFA.
- You will be keen to develop their FIFA skills, and any other sporting games as required.
- As a Gaming Specialist, you will focus on inspiring Africans to play, fostering a loyal community of gamers and fans, working at the intersection of our video gaming, community management, and streaming. You’ll be bringing significant doses of passion, commitment, and innovation that would help us in our quest to transform a beloved interest into a strong cultural phenomenon across Africa.
- You’ll manage gaming content creation efforts, which will include developing and executing competitions/shows across social media, email, web, and more to drive audience growth and participation for Ball Gecko. In short, you’ll lead our efforts to bring great entertainment to Africans online through new game formats and experiences, acting as a direct liaison to our general audience and members, driving us into the heart of the growing gamer culture in Africa.
- Ideally, you will be a voracious learner who finds themselves obsessed with gaming, football, lifestyle, urban culture, and sports, with a tireless zeal for digging into in-the-moment topics, trends, and debates.
What You’ll Do:
- You will be responsible for playing, writing, voicing, streaming and presenting materials on social/new media channels that excite the conversation around football through strong writing, thoughtful angles, and an instinct for the things that delight, torment, and puzzle fans and the football-curious alike.
- You’ll play multiple roles, working closely with the team to conceptualize each day’s programming, coming up with smart pitches, booking and interviewing guests, constructing the segments, editing and scoring episodes, and possibly anchoring segments yourself.
- Provide unique and enticing esports experiences to African millennials and student organizations both virtually and on-site
- Deliver tournaments, activations, or other events to the BG community.
- Study Ball Gecko gaming products and competitors within the category to strategically plan for growth.
- Manage and oversee the execution of tournament licenses for external tournament organizers and partners. Actively monitor and maintain esports mailboxes and respond to inquiries in a timely and professional manner.
- Write announcements for Ball Gecko’s events and tournaments.
- Track and report task status to appropriate stakeholders in a timely and consistent manner.
- Work closely with the team to entertain and inform our audience by presenting information in an accessible, simple, and attractive way.
- Build annual gaming experiences, based on consumer insights, that keep players engaged all year long
- Help maintain Ball Gecko Community with operations, chat moderation, and organization
- Experience of playing FIFA
- Excellent self-presentation as image will be broadcast
- Desire to compete and win: maintain a competitive skill level throughout all games
- Ability to maintain natural gait and projection in front of the camera.
- Strong associations within African and global pop culture and a keen understanding of what’s next in the millennial and Gen-Z subcultures
- A sense of fun, urgency, and a commitment to being part of a tight-knit team
- A sense for what makes a Gecko story
- Excite and inspire with an infectious curiosity and optimistic approach.
- Experience in competing at tournaments/offline gaming events
- Knowledge of the video game industry and trends
- Ensuring adherence to Integrity standards, including undertaking training, monitoring, and education
- A passion for gaming
N50,000 – N150,000 monthly.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should send their CV and ‘proof of work / skill to: [email protected] using the Job Title as the subject of the email
Application Deadline 30th June, 2021.