JSI Research & Training Institute, Inc. (JSI) is a public health management consulting and research organization dedicated to improving the health of individuals and communities throughout the world.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Senior Social Behavorial Change Advisor
Location: Abuja, Nigeria
- We are currently seeking qualified candidates for the USAID-funded MOMENTUM (Moving Integrated, Quality Maternal, Newborn, and Child Health and Family Planning and Reproductive Health Services to Scale) Round 3B, known as MOMENTUM-Routine Immunization Transformation and Equity (M-RITE).
- M-RITE’s overarching goal is to sustainably strengthen routine immunization programs to: 1) overcome the entrenched obstacles contributing to stagnating and declining immunization rates in USAID-supported countries, and 2) address the barriers to reaching zero-dose and under-immunized children with life-saving vaccines and other health services. In light of the COVID-19 pandemic, and the disruption of immunization services, M-RITE will also support countries with the maintenance, adaptation, and/or reinstatement of immunization and support countries as they roll out the COVID-19 vaccine.
- In Nigeria, M-RITE will bring its expertise to strengthen national COVID-19 vaccination efforts through participation in national-level COVID-19 technical working groups and work in 5 states to support the national SCALES 3.0 strategy.
- M-RITE will support microplanning and work to build demand and acceptance for the vaccine in partnership with states to mitigate the risk of misinformation and hesitancy among health workers and other priority populations, support the design and implementation of communications and community engagement strategies to promote uptake of the vaccine and help develop and review monitoring tools.
- In addition, M-RITE will provide technical assistance to support routine immunization strengthening in 5 states, applying a co-creation approach to improve equitable coverage with a focus on identifying, understanding, and reaching zero dose and under-immunized children and communities.
Summary of Position Description
- We are currently seeking a Senior Social and Behavior Change(SBC) Advisor for the MOMENTUM-Routine Immunization Transformation and Equity (M-RITE) project to be based in Abuja, Nigeria.
- The SBC Advisor will provide technical leadership and guidance in SBCC, provide technical support to NPHCDAto strengthen and carry out SBC activities that address persistent challenges, increase uptake of healthy behaviors and allow populations access and utilize Primary Health Care (PHC) services, with a specific emphasis on immunization services (routine, COVID-19, and new vaccines as appropriate).
Specific Tasks Include
Strategic program planning and implementation:
- Lead M-RITE strategic planning for technical assistance to NPHCDA and SPHCHA on SBC for demand creation and community engagement
- Contribute to the M-RITE technical assistance for planning of integrated immunization services from an SBC perspective
- Develop a detailed SBC implementation plan, which outlines key actors, behaviors, interventions, messages, and media required to overcome obstacles to immunization and thereby contribute to increased uptake and completion of immunization schedules.
- Coordinate and collaborate with other partners to design and adapt SBC interventions, activities, and materials for the different priority populations including for COVID-19 vaccination
- Coordinate and monitor implementation of M-RITE SBC workplan activities
- In support of M-RITE’s initial scoping activities for routine immunization and COVID-19 vaccination, complete SBC landscape analysis of what is known about drivers of immunization behaviors (e.g., structural, socio-cultural including gender, and individual-level behavioral drivers) in project states.
- Participate in the design and implementation of the M-RITE co-creation process, methodology, tool development, and analysis to ensure SBC aspects are addressed.
- Participate in the development and/or updating of community engagement strategies both at the national level and in the assigned states
Technical leadership (capacity building/ partnership/ monitoring):
- Ensure that high-quality technical work is performed and supervises the M-RITE state-level immunization advisors.
- Provide technical support to National level SBC technical working groups for routine immunization and COVID-19, and support state-level M-RITE staff to advise on SBC issues to address barriers to immunization and COVID-19 vaccination.
- Facilitate stakeholder engagement at National and State Levels to design interventions to address persistent challenges to reach under-served communities and increase utilization of integrated PHC services, with an emphasis on immunization.
- Ensure linkage between M-RITE and NPHCDA at the central level as well as with project SBC officers at the subnational level.
- Work with NGOs, government, and other projects and organizations to build capacity in SBC and mentor facilitators, CBOs, CHWs, health facility staff, and others.
- Develop or update training materials to include COVID-19 vaccination and support the use of innovative and digital technologies for SBC.
- Contribute to project evaluation activities and project reports as requested.
- Define appropriate metrics to monitor the quality and effectiveness of SBCC strategy implementation.
- Determine behavioral priorities and pathways to change (individual and social).
- Participate in annual workplan development and project review meetings, leading the discussions on SBCC plans, progress, and potential.
- Perform other, related activities as requested by M-RITE and JSI.
- Master’s Degree or equivalent experience in one of the following or related fields: Anthropology, Sociology, Psychology, Marketing, Communication, or International Public Health with a specialization in behavioral science.
- At least 7 years of relevant experience in the design and implementation of evidence-based behavior and social change strategies, campaigns, and programs in Nigeria, including formative research.
- Demonstrated capacity for strategic and tactical programming and use of creative, innovative program approaches and actions.
- Proficiency in MS Office and internet applications required.
- Willingness and ability to travel up to 40% time.
- Excellent oral communication, writing, and documentation skills.
- English fluency in reading, writing and speaking.
- Ability to work in a dynamic team with colleagues of different backgrounds, to develop new ideas and perspectives in a team environment.
- Familiarity with behavior change theories.
- Experience in capacity development for SBCC.
- Knowledge of internationally recognized participatory materials development processes and experience developing health SBCC materials.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should submit their CV and cover letter in English and a list of three referees with contact details to: [email protected] with the subject line “Senior SBC Advisor”.
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
- JSI is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action Employer committed to workplace diversity.
- We are committed to providing equal employment opportunities for all qualified applicants and employees without regard to age, race, color, national origin, ancestry, creed, religion, gender, disability, marital status, gender identity, sexual orientation, sexual preference, genetic information, political affiliation, or protected veteran status in any employment decisions.
- Women are encouraged to apply