International Organization for Migration (IOM) is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental andnon-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for thebenefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Senior Programme Manager (IBM)
Location: Abuja, Nigeria
Classification: Professional Staff, Grade P4
Estimated Start Date: As soon as possible
Type of Appointment: Fixed term, one year with possibility of extension
Under the overall supervision of the Regional Director and direct supervision of IOM Nigeria Chief of Mission and with direct technical support from the Regional Thematic Specialist for the Immigration and Border Management (IBM) Division, the successful candidate will be responsible for:
- Providing substantive expert technical support to, and direct management of, the full Program portfolio of IOM Nigeria IBM projects;
- Development of new concepts and new projects for that portfolio in close collaboration with key Nigerian government partners and with the donor community;
- Monitoring and analysis of national and trans-national trends relevant to the IOM Nigeria IBM portfolio; and
- Contributing to the government of Nigeria perspective and support to regional IBM projects affecting Nigeria.
Core Functions / Responsibilities
- Act as the IBM expert resource for the IOM Country Office in Nigeria by contributing to all programming and Country Office consultations relevant to the IBM portfolio, including areas related to border management, travel and identity documents, biometrics, training and organizational development for government capacity building, and related areas. Actively contribute that expertise to project development and implementation.
- Directly manage all programmatic aspects, notably technical, legal and operational/security components as well as financial, of the IOM Nigeria IBM Program portfolio, including direct responsibility for supervision of Country Office staff and consultants working in that portfolio: ensuring close cooperation with all partners, guiding projects to successful and timely conclusion, applying quality control to all aspects of the various projects’ implementation, ensuring timely and accurate donor reporting and maximum donor/partner visibility, through an accurate and timely monitoring and evaluation system.
- Lead in the development, implementation and monitoring IOM Nigeria’s IBM growth and development vision, aligning it with Government strategic priorities linked to enhanced border management, regularization of border crossing processing, sensitive/personal data collection, sharing and protection mechanisms, inter-agency cooperation. Link and seek synergies between the Country Office strategy and IOM’s regional and global IBM strategies, relevant strategies of other UN agencies, and donor/partners’ national, regional and trans-regional strategies.
- Ensure development and delivery of quality thematic training/workshops for Government of Nigeria (GoN) as required by project outcomes. Help ensure responsive and professional technical support to GoN through, among other activities, development and provision of information resources and training, border and migration management assessments, and related activities.
- Identify needs relevant to legal component of the IBM thematic areas and contribute to the development of relevant legislative tools, policies and procedures.
- Identify needs relevant to operational/ security component of the IBM thematic areas and coordinate and contribute to the development of relevant capacity building strategies while ensuring implementation of international standards and best practices.
- Take the lead in the discussions and actively provide technical inputs to the process of creating a Single Window Database for the Nigerian Government.
- Actively contribute to IOM’s IBM network regionally and globally, analyze and share best practices with relevant colleagues and
- Support regional strategic IBM planning exercises wherever possible, and lead country level strategic IBM planning and provide advice to Chief of Mission and RMO on resource utilization and mobilization options for the Mission’s IBM portfolio.
- Cooperate, participate and develop relations with national organizations relevant for IBM issues and with key-donors for IBM projects in Nigeria.
- Participate and contribute to National, Regional, Continental and Interregional workshops, seminars and consultations, as requested.
- Actively support and guide the capacity building of IOM Nigeria staff in the thematic area and monitor their performance, development and professional growth.
- Represent IBM in the Country by actively participating in conferences, workshops and meetings related to the thematic area of expertise, as required by the Chief of Mission and as requested by the IBM RTS and IBM at HQ. Develop synergies and partnerships with other agencies, as well as with potential donors, active in Nigeria in relevant technical programming areas.
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience
- Master’s Degree in Law, Law-enforcement, or a related field from an accredited academic institution with minimum seven years of relevant professional experience, or
- University Degree in the above fields with nine years of relevant professional experience.
- Extensive background in border management (including Border Management Information Systems), Identity management, travel and identity documents, biometric applications in the migration sector, and related areas;
- Experience in the field of migration issues, including operational and field experience, IOM project development, and management;
- Experience in liaising with governmental authorities, other national/international institutions and NGOs;
- Extensive work experience with Government or an International Organization in the thematic area;
- Substantive experience in donor project management, programmatically and financially, with IOM or with a UN agency, will be an added advantage.
- Experience of running large IBM projects and programs, capacity to deliver IBM-related trainings/ workshops to Government officials is required;
- Good strategic vision of border management in context of facilitations of regular migrations and transnational serious crime prevention;
- Good knowledge of IOM project financial management procedures and tools;
- A well developed or expert understanding of biometrics in migration applications, and an interest in advancing their understanding of this technical area;
- Very good knowledge of administrative and procedural aspects of project management approaches;
- Very good representational skills, including discretion and good judgment.
- An understanding of the Nigerian public administration system and knowledge of the rules and regulations governing immigration in Nigeria;
- IOM’s official languages are English, French, and Spanish.
- External applicants for all positions in the Professional category are required to be proficient in English and have at least a working knowledge of one additional UN Language (French, Spanish, Arabic, Russian or Chinese).
- For all applicants, fluency in English is required (oral and written). Working knowledge of one of the IOM Official languages (Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian, Spanish) is an advantage.
- Proficiency of language(s) required will be specifically evaluated during the selection process, which may include written and/or oral assessments.
Values – all IOM staff members must abide by and demonstrate these three values:
- Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
- Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
- Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 3:
- Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
- Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
- Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
- Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action-oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
Managerial Competencies – behavioural indicators level 3:
- Leadership: provides a clear sense of direction, leads by example and demonstrates the ability to carry out the organization’s vision; assists others to realize and develop their potential.
- Empowering others & building trust: creates an atmosphere of trust and an enabling environment where staff can contribute their best and develop their potential.
- Strategic thinking and vision: works strategically to realize the Organization’s goals and communicates a clear strategic direction.
- IOM’s competency framework can be found at this link: https://www.iom.int/sites/default/files/about-iom/iom_revised_competency_framework_external.pdf
- Competencies will be assessed during a competency-based interview.
- Internationally recruited professional staff are required to be mobile.
- Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
Important Information and Notice
- Previous applicants do not need to re-apply.
- Accredited Universities are the ones listed in the UNESCO World Higher Education Database: (https://whed.net/home.php).
- This selection process may be used to staff similar positions in various duty stations.
- Recommended candidates endorsed by the Appointments and Postings Board will remain eligible to be appointed in a similar position for a period of 24 months.
- The list of NMS countries above includes all IOM Member States which are non-represented in the Professional Category of staff members. For this staff category, candidates who are nationals of the duty station’s country cannot be considered eligible.
- Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
- No late applications will be accepted.
- IOM only accepts duly completed applications submitted through the IOM e-Recruitment system. The online tool also allows candidates to track the status of their application.
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted
Application Deadline 10th August, 2021. (23:59 local time Geneva, Switzerland)