The International Rescue Committee, one of the world’s largest humanitarian agencies, provides relief, rehabilitation and post-conflict reconstruction support to victims of natural disaster, oppression and violent conflict in 42 countries. The IRC is committed to bold leadership, innovation and creative partnerships. Active in public health, education, livelihoods, women’s empowerment, youth development, and protection and promotion of rights, IRC assists people from harm to home.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Senior Nutrition Manager (Roving)
Requisition ID: req15851
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Employment Category: Fixed Term
Employment Type: Full Time
Open to Expatriates: No
- IRC entered Nigeria in October 2012 in response to a widespread flood disaster. IRC’s Emergency Response Team, with local partner CISCOPE (Civil Society Coalition for Poverty Eradication), implemented a project to support livelihoods and improve WASH in Kogi State from February to May 2013.
- This was followed by a 3-month nutrition and food security program in the same location from October 2013 to January 2014. The IRC is now in the process of establishing long term presence in Nigeria.
- Offices were established in Adamawa, Borno and Yobe States, in North East Nigeria and are providing critical humanitarian assistance to conflict affected people.
Job Overview / Summary
- The S. Nutrition Manager will be focal point for IRC’s primary Nutrition care services in Yobe state and Adamawa and s/he will supervise Nutrition Manager’s in Both Adamawa and Yobe state and the position will report to the Nutrition Coordinator and works closely with other managers in the day-to-day administrative issues.
- The Snr.Nutrition Manager will ensure the implementation of a quality Nutrition program, in accordance with national and international standards.
- The SNR-Nutrition Manager will identify gaps in Nutrition services and take the necessary steps to address those gaps.
- S/he provides technical oversight/ assistance in planning, implementing and monitoring of high impact interventions and provides support in system strengthening and promotion of childhood nutrition, with special focus to the most vulnerable and unreached population groups.
- In addition, S/he will provide coordinated support and technical assistance to Nutrition managers in the 2 States and will represent IRC in coordination.
- He/she will directly supervise the Donor budgets in collaboration with Nutrition managers to ensure adequate monitoring of all the grants by ensuring the 2 supported states have spending. Procurements and are follow/updated online/he will also be focal person for ensuring Quality reporting of all nutrition data in both CMAM online and IYCF BOX.
Program Management & Development:
- Participate in the development of nutrition sector budgets and following up on their effective implementation.
- Ensure effective implementation of BVA DASHBOARD by ensuring the sector has spending, procurements plan and effective follow up of internal and external commitments.
- Develop nutrition sector work plans for all the IRC nutrition grants. Supervise and coordinate the implementation and monitoring of nutrition project activities in the Yobe and Adamawa state in line with proposal targets and work plan timelines.
- Conduct nutritional surveillance in the program sites, including host community and internally displaced persons (IDPs)based on agreed methodologies including surveys, process monitoring, SMART, LQAS, SQUEAC and other rapid methods.
- Work with the field-based nutrition managers and Snr.health Managers to effective nutrition and health programming in Yobe and Adamawa states
- Coordinate with other IRC departments and implementing partners to develop training Curriculum and implementation plans for community Health Volunteers (CHV’s) / CHW’s / CHIPS.
- Assist in response and management of any nutrition emergencies and participate in the development of disaster preparedness systems.
- Promote mother infant and young child feeding/BFHI and BFCI best practices in both Adamawa and Yobe state.
- Oversee implementation and integration of comprehensive growth monitoring program/Mass MUAC screenings at community level and report accordingly.
- Participate actively in execution of operational research and Documentation of Best Nutrition practices in various health facilities/Outreach sites if need be.
- Participate actively in planned program Rapid Nutrition assessment, nutrition surveys and KAP Assessments.
- Participate in the development of proposals, budgets and concept notes in coordination with the Nutrition Coordinator, DDP, Grants team, and HQ Technical Unit.
- Work with Nutrition Manager in Recruiting national staff in conjunction with the Human Resources Department
- Ensure Nutrition Managers maintain updated job descriptions, conduct interviews, orient new staff to the IRC and the Protection program
- Supervise the nutrition managers directly by ensuring Quality programming in Adamawa and Yobe and ensure effective utilization of Donor funds.
- Provide support supervision, leadership, training and technical support and guidance to nutrition managers and staffs in both states and ensure adherence to best-practice principles in all aspects of program implementation.
- Coordinate with respective Nutrition managers in ensuring adequate monitoring of nutrition team’s timesheets, work plans, vacation schedules, and staff training/development activities.
- Ensure Performance Management System documentation for all staff is in place and followed up regularly.
- Ensure field sites adherence of IRC policies (Child safeguarding policy) and protocols.
Technical Monitoring and Program Quality:
- Provide technical supervision of, and technical support to IRC nutrition programming activities.
- Ensure that nutrition programs utilize standardized protocols, policies and guidelines, as prescribed by the Ministry of Health and WHO/UNICEF
- Ensure that all nutrition activities are consistent with established best practices and international guidelines.
- Ensure adequate data collection and timely reporting of data and statistics for all nutrition programs in line with IRC guidelines and according to internal and donor requirements.
- Monitor evolving needs of the target communities and adjust the programmatic priorities, as necessary.
- Conduct nutritional surveillance in the program sites, including host community and internally displaced persons (IDPs)based on agreed methodologies including surveys, process monitoring, SMART, LQAS, SQUEAC and KAP.
- Position Reports to: Nutrition Coordinator
- Position directly supervises: Nutrition managers (Yobe and Adamawa)
- Other Internal and/or external contacts: describe the nature of departments or groups the position influences or requires support from to accomplish objectives.
- Internal: All other IRC sectors offering integrated services at all intervention areas. Senior area manager, Yobe and all operation services for support.
- External: SPHCDA, UNICEF, WHO, HMB, Federal Ministry of Health, other INGOs.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Food, Nutrition and Dietetics or Registered Nurse or Medical Doctor with strong Nutrition Background from a recognized University. (Master’s in Public Health (MPH) / Nutrition preferred)
- A minimum of 5 years of professional experience in nutrition, public health, nutrition planning and management and/or in relevant areas of maternal, infant and child nutrition care at program management level is required.
- Knowledge in computer statistical packages such as SMART and basic data analysis skills.
- Experience in designing and implementing nutrition surveys and other methodologies.
- MUST be registered by Nigeria relevant accreditation Bodies.
- Should be conversant with skills such as SQUEAC, SLEAC surveys techniques.
- Experience in managing a nutrition program in emergencies or among refugee/ displaced populations is an added advantage.
- Excellent management skills
- Ability to write clear and concise reports and proposals and to meet required reporting deadlines.
- Able to work independently while being a strong team player.
- Experience supervising health staff in a complex setting; ability to support and build staff capacity.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to live and work under pressure in an unstable security environment.
- Excellent computer skills: MS Word, Excel, Power-point, Epi-Info/SPSS, Outlook and the internet.
- Fluency in English. Skill in local languages will be an added advantage.
- Ready to Travel and support Yobe and Adamawa states and is able frequent travel to northern Nigeria especially Yobe and Adamawa.
- The position will be based in Maiduguri, Borno State with extensive travels to Yobe and Adamawa.The situation in northeast Nigeria continues to be volatile and the security phase is orange or red depending on location.
- This is a national position and benefit package includes.
- Competitive Monthly salary,
- Health Insurance Coverage for Family,
- Annual earned leave days,
- Pension scheme,
- Crèche Facilities available for Women with babies under 24 months.
Application Closing Date
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Note: The IRC and IRC workers must adhere to the values and principles outlined in IRC Way – Standards for Professional Conduct. These are Integrity, Service, and Accountability. In accordance with these values, the IRC operates and enforces policies on Beneficiary Protection from Exploitation and Abuse, Child Safeguarding, Anti Workplace Harassment, Fiscal Integrity, and Anti-Retaliation.