FHI 360 is a nonprofit human development organization dedicated to improving lives in lasting ways by advancing integrated, locally driven solutions. Our staff includes experts in health, education, nutrition, environment, economic development, civil society, gender, youth, research and technology – creating a unique mix of capabilities to address today’s interrelated development challenges. FHI 360 serves more than 70 countries and all U.S. states and territories.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Security Coordinator (Nigerian Citizen)
Requisition No: 2021201470
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Job Type: Full time
Supervisor: Security Director
To Start: ASAP
- The Security Coordinator will discharge his/her assignment under the direct authority and technical guidance of the FHI 360 Security Director.
- From time to time will work with Field Coordinators in ensuring FHI 360 programs, staff and assets remain safe and secure from threats.
- He/she will work with the Integrated Humanitarian Assistance for Northeast Nigeria (IHANN).
- The Senior Security Coordinator role is to provide support in development and management of primarily Borno States’ safety & security strategy and provide support to the Security Director on management of staff safety and security issues which will strive to support FHI 360 program implementation.
- He/she will work across existing and new programs in North East and may be called to other regions as may be necessary.
Dimensions of Role
- Daily & weekly security updates on incidents, trends and risk mitigation.
- Liaise with other security actors in safe access to program areas
- Responsible for advising project Coordinators in their regions of the risks associated with staff working in complex and dynamic security environment in the North East, Nigeria.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Conduct security risk assessments for FHI 360 program expansion areas in the North East Manage physical security, fire safety and office evacuation drills periodically Conduct Hotel assessments in liaison with travel office for a safety and security approval process Establish a network with other key security players for information sharing and joint lobbying on security matters where possible.
- Attend security meetings such as INSO, OSAC, UNDSS, INGO forum etc. Conduct onsite training for staff in the field of safety including personal safety, emergency evacuations, travel safety, relocation and evacuation Work with program staff in seeking security clearance for asset movements to operational areas Supervise and regularly appraise security contractors and Guard Companies as per agreement ensuring that all company policies and practices related to these are adhered to
- Assist the State offices in developing and overseeing the day to day conduct of office security program, ensuring adequate responses to security incidents both natural and man-made.
- Provide technical security advice in consultation with the Security Manager on the existing and any new potential FHI 360 offices including site selection and establishment of effective physical and procedural security measures.
- In conjunction with the Security Director, deliver relevant security trainings. Ensure FHI 360 staff and visitors understand and behave in accordance to the Standard operating procedures, contingency plans and security briefings
- Provide advance security advice, security briefing to staff and visitors to respective States, ensure plans for tracking arrival, departure and accommodation Draft security advisories with advice on mitigation for circulation by the Security Director or designee and general situation, specific incidents and periods of heightened threat.
- Conduct periodic briefing to Coordinators/Managers and all staff keeping them up-dated on security developments and/or risks that may affect FHI 360 operations and make recommendations to minimize risks.
Incident & Crisis management:
- Serve as the part of the Nigeria security unit, coordinator emergency/staff incidents involving FHI 360 Nigeria staff and assets, inform the Security Director and recommend response actions.
- Coordinate the updating of FHI 360 Security management plan, develop specific contingency plans for review by the Security Director as required or directed Maintain and periodically test the security tree for the States in region covered Organize safety & security awareness, fire and life safety training for all staff Maintain and enhance the State’s travel management system to track the location and contact information for all visiting staff and consultants. Be part of the security management Team (SMT)
Briefing and De-Brief:
- Visitors – Develop and deliver location specific safety and security briefings for all visitors on operating context New Employee Briefing – Deliver security orientation on personal safety, organizations security management framework, use of communication equipment (VHF, HF, Satellite phone) Post-incident debrief – de-briefing staff /visitors involved in security incidents and help in psychosocial support as well as identifying medical help.
Relocation & Evacuation:
- Plan for both security and medical evacuation for all locations and develop evacuation plan including roles, relocated staff, collection points, routes etc.
Qualifications and Requirements
- Degree level or relevant certification
- A formal security qualification or security management training work experience in complex environments (minimal 5 years)
- Experience in incident reporting, incident mapping, compilation of security reports and assessments
- Experience in training and coaching national and international staff in safety and security.
- Technical competency and training experience in field based communication systems, Thuraya and internet systems.
- Sound knowledge of humanitarian principals of humanity, neutrality, impartiality and independence
- Strong report writing, analytical and interpersonal skills, competency in internet and Microsoft office systems including word, excel, power point, access and other database mapping systems
- Ability to work in a multi-cultural, multi ethnic team experience and knowledge of personnel and organizational security issues, threat/risk assessment, security management and security awareness in complex context.
- An ex-service man either from the Nigeria military or Police context or related field work in the North East. Prior experience with the UN system or international NGO is desirable.
Knowledge, Skills and Attributes:
- Experience working for international organization(s) and an understanding of security strategies for humanitarian operations, previous security experience preferred.
- Ability to speak several local languages (Hausa, Kanuri) as well North East work experience
- Demonstrated ability to manage and work under stressful conditions
- Ability to travel (50%demands) on regular basis throughout assigned States on short notice.
- Strong assessment, evaluation, analysis and strategic planning skills High level of experience, ready to learn developing security related technical tools guidelines and systems as well as able to work under minimal supervision Excellent oral and written communication skills
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply