The European Union (EU) is an economic and political partnership between many European countries. It plays an important role in international affairs through diplomacy, trade, development aid and working with global organisations. Abroad, the EU is represented through more than 140 diplomatic representations, known also as EU Delegations, which have a similar function to those of the EU embassy development programme.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Secretary
The EU Delegation to the Federal Republic of Nigeria and ECOWAS works closely with the national, regional and local authorities as well as other foreign missions. The European Union (EU) is a major player in the international development community in Nigeria with an active presence in the key sectors of health, nutrition, water and sanitation and improving access to sustainable electricity.
Additional crosscutting activities include the fight against corruption, drugs and organised crime, support to the reform of the justice system, measures to increase the role democratic processes and supporting a greater role for civil society.
- Medically fit to perform the required duties;
- Enjoys civil rights and permits for employment under the Nigerian labour law;
- Satisfactory knowledge of English
- Upper secondary education in a relevant field and minimum of 3 years in performing administrative support tasks. Thorough knowledge of secretarial and clerical tasks
- We expect a candidate with deep understanding and experience of secretarial and clerical tasks, with high level of personal integrity, able to work under strict deadlines and able to cope with a significant workload such as:
- Coordinate appointments and diaries of members of the Section.
- Organize and prepare of meetings; arranging appointments.
- Draft minutes of meetings
- Organise and manage contacts list and databases.
- Organize in close coordination with other Sections, missions for Delegation staff: travel and accommodation arrangements, appointments and missions’ expense claims.
- When required, organize dinners, receptions and other events, including coordination of representation costs.
- Assist in establishing and updating of the Europe Day guests list as far as the operations section is concerned.
- Establish and update of an exhaustive database for the section contacts (names, addresses, telephone, fax, mobile, sector, institution, etc.
- Keep abreast about developments related to the section portfolio and main issues concerning the section
- When required, undertake other assignments that may be requested in view of the efficient functioning of the Delegation.
- Draft letters and notes (ensure they correspond to correct format, filing); take, transcribe, prepare and finalize notes, compose and type routine correspondence.
- Receive, register and follow-up of incoming mail, correspondence, outgoing mail.
- File and up keep of the filing system and archives of the Section.
- Organize together with other Sections and provide support to external missions from Headquarters, other Delegations or other European institutions.
- Ensure the regular update of the Section’s budget
- Ensure smooth document and information management through ARES or any equivalent IT tool, and prepare physical files and signatories as necessary reaming available to support Programme officers.
- Close contact and cooperation with Administration section in order to facilitate related requests (such as business cards)
The Following will be Considered an Asset:
- Knowledge of French
- Outstanding knowledge of Microsoft Office and good control of Excel, ability to handle statistical data
- Self- motivated, proactive, ability to work in a multicultural environment, both in team and/or alone, respect for the deadlines, ability to deal with stressing situations and to work under tight deadlines, performing well under pressure.
- University Degree or equivalent in a relevant field
- Thorough knowledge of secretarial and clerical tasks and previous experience in a diplomatic mission or international organization
- We offer a post of Secretary. Under this post, the recruited person will be attributed functions depending on the needs of the Delegation.
- Upon recruitment, the successful candidate will occupy a specific job function as Secretary. This job function may be changed in accordance with the needs of the Delegation.
- Under this job function the successful candidate will serve as technical and support staff to under the supervision and responsibility of the relevant Head of Section.
- The candidate, Local Agent LA3 will work full time (37.5 hours weekly) in a multicultural and multinational environment at the premises of the EU Delegation in Abuja, Nigeria.
- We offer a competitive position in an international environment. Benefits, such as a pension scheme and medical insurance, are offered to employees and their families under certain conditions.
- The gross basic salary will be raised in accordance with the current salary scale, depending on years of relevant professional experience, starting from NGN 611,861.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should submit their Applications to: [email protected]
- Applications should consist of a letter explaining your interest and suitability for this position and Curriculum Vitae (each 2 pages maximum).
- These documents should be sent by email to the attention of Head of Administration, on above stated email address.
- Application should clearly state the title of the post “Secretary – e-Del-HRM No 58433 and Sysper 2 No 250692”.
- After the deadline for applications, the applications will be reviewed by the Selection Committee set up for this purpose.
- The Selection Committee will prepare a short-list of candidates who are considered to be the most suitable for this post on the basis of a preliminary assessment of the information provided in their application letter and the supporting document.
- The shortlisted candidates will be invited to an assessment phase, which is a written test, followed by interviews. During this phase, the Selection Committee will assess the suitability of the candidates for the post.
- The candidates who have not been short-listed will not be contacted individually; however, the Delegation will inform the remaining candidates by email, once the recruitment procedure has been completed and that a candidate has (or has not) been recruited.
- The Delegation will not supply additional information or discuss the selection procedure by telephone: please address any queries concerning this procedure to: [email protected] (link sends e-mail)
- Applications received after the deadline stated below or not conform to these instructions will be automatically rejected
Application Deadline 31st May, 2021.