Danish Refugee Council (DRC) is a Danish international non-governmental organisation, which promotes and supports durable solutions to the problems faced by refugees and internally displaced people all over the world. DRC is present in more than 30 conflict territories around the world assisting displaced people with shelter, food, income-generating activities, and a wide range of other assistance. It is of utmost importance for DRC to work in compliance with the DRC Accountability and Quality Management system and national legislations. Smooth, reliable and effective operational systems are preconditions for DRC to maintain its position as a trustworthy and reliable partner for our donors and an accountable organisation towards our beneficiaries.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Safety Assistant
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Contract type: National contract
- The purpose of the Safety Assistant role is to act as operations and communications focal point to the DRC mission staff for both the day-to-day operational needs and during security and medical emergencies
- The Safety Assistant will be the persons responsible for the management of communications and staff movement monitoring, ensuring compliance with the DRC MOSS, as well as all safety and security policies, procedures and protocols.
Staff movements and accountability oversight and support at field level across the North East Regional States:
- Provide a 24-hour over watch on all DRC Nigeria deep field locations by acting as an immediate point of contact for all staff 24/7 Monitors, tracks, logs and reports all DRC Nigeria staff movements at field level across the BAY regional states Monitors and logs all radio and satellite communications with DRC Nigeria field staff and other delegated focal persons Monitors and logs all DRC Nigeria staff movements.
Security Incidents and Data Management:
- Monitor, log and report on the security context via local and external sources within the BAY region Monitor the local and national news/media platforms Draft and disseminate the daily media monitoring reports Receive, log and disseminate daily security incident alerts, advisories and updates when/if required ensuring timely notification to DRC Mission Communicate all changes in the Safety Level at field level when directed by the Safety Team Leader and Humanitarian Access and Safety Advisor Ensure all safety and security incidents are logged and reported using the DRC reporting mechanism.
Administrative and Operational Support:
- Play an active role of the DRC Nigeria Missions Safety and Security Department A key player in the DRC Nigeria Missions country communications and staff accountability plan by providing technical communications support
- Conducts Staff Pre-Departure Security Briefing
- Be able to carry out maintenance, function’s tests and repairs on all communications equipment operated in the DRC Nigeria Mission.
- Report any security situation/reports immediately to the Safety Team Leader who will communicate to the Humanitarian Access safety Advisor and the Area Manager.
- To serve in the shift duties and operate various types of communications equipment on a daily basis
- Responsible for the issue of communications devices, supporting accessories and relevant documentation to deploying staff.
- Be able to operate Motorola VHF/UHF radio, tracking devices, Thuraya and iridium satellite communications equipment.
- Maintain the Safety Unit’s asset register and oversight on all assets that are both utilized and stored (Thuraya phones, radio, etc).
- Coordinate with the DRC Logistics and Procurement department to ensure that the overall DRC asset register reflects the Safety Unit’s current asset register.
- Carry out any additional responsibilities and tasks as assigned by Safety Team Leader & Humanitarian Access & Safety Advisor.
- The responsibilities listed in the JD are not exhaustive and may be readjusted according to operational needs but will remain in line with the overall purpose of the role.
- Tertiary education (Bachelor minimum) in Security Management, Criminology, Political Science, Communication, Disaster Risk or related field
- Excellent communication skills, calm and a good sense of humour
- Proven commitment to accountability practices
- Strong information technology skills
- 2 Experience working with INGOs/UN, other international agencies
- Proven ability to prioritize tasks and meet deadlines
- Stable, moral and robust character and a good team-player
- Bachelor’s Degree in a field related to humanitarian work or risk management
- Competent and literate in English, verbal and written, with a sound knowledge of technical expressions.
- Demonstrative experience in INGO/NGO or UN field (operations) with experience of safety and security.
- An ex Security Forces (Police, Military etc) with a Certified Discharge Letter.
Salary and Conditions
- In accordance with Danish Refugee Council’s Terms of Employment;
- The income will be subject to statutory deductions as per applicable Nigeria laws. The employee is responsible for the tax returns.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
Improtant Information and Notice
- CV and Cover Letter indicating and explaining the suitability to the position applied.
- Provide contact details (name, position, email address and tel. no.) of 3 professional non-related references, whereas 1 must be for the latest employer. Please do not attach any written recommendations.
- Applications should be addressed to: “Recruitment Manager”.
- Applications sent/received after the deadline will not be considered.
- DRC-DDG Nigeria does not charge any fees for recruitment and does not use any employment mediator.
- Only motivated applications that address the stipulated duties and meet the required qualifications, sent together with a CV, will be considered. CV-only applications will not be considered
- The position is for Nigerian nationals only.
- Due to the urgency of the position, applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis and the post may be filled before the deadline.
- Only short-listed applicants will be invited for written test and oral interview
Application Deadline 8th September, 2021.