The United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) is the United Nations’ global development network. It advocates for change and connects countries to knowledge, experience and resources to help people build a better life for themselves. It provides expert advice, training and grants support to developing countries, with increasing emphasis on assistance to the least developed countries. It promotes technical and investment cooperation among nations.
Headquartered in New York City, the status of UNDP is that of an executive board within the United Nations General Assembly. The UNDP is funded entirely by voluntary contributions from UN member states. The organization operates in 177 countries, where it works with local governments to meet development challenges and develop local capacity.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Project Procurement Associate – NPSA7
Job Identification: 1948
Location: Lagos, Nigeria
Job Schedule: Full time
Practice Area: Inclusive Growth
Bureau:Regional Bureau for Africa
Vacancy Type: National Personnel Service Agreement
Contract Duration: 1 Year with Possibility for extension
- UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.
- UNDP does not tolerate sexual exploitation and abuse, any kind of harassment, including sexual harassment, and discrimination. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks.
- Nigeria is Africa’s most populous country with an estimated population of 206 Million and an annual population growth rate of 2.6%. By 2050, the country’s population is expected to have doubled, reaching more than 400 million and thereby becoming the third largest country in the world. More than half of its population will be under the age of 30 years.
- At the same time, unemployment and under-employment are one of the key development challenges facing young people in Nigeria and undermining the prospects of the country to achieve its development aspirations and fulfil its potential as the continent’s largest economy. According to the National Bureau for Statistics’ report of 2018, over 13.9 million youth are unemployed.
- The highest unemployment rate was recorded for youths between 15 – 24 years standing at 40.8%, followed by those aged between 25 – 34 years at 30.7%. Investing in Nigeria’s youth is therefore becoming more urgent than ever.
- In response to this complex development challenge, the Federal Government of Nigeria, in collaboration with the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) and other partners, seeks to invest in the next generation of leaders through the establishment of the Nigeria Jubilee Fellows Programme (JFP) – a platform for empowering young Nigerian graduates with practical on-the-job skills and leadership competencies through a twelve-month paid placement opportunity. Under this programme, highly qualified recent graduates of the National Youth Service Corps (NYSC) scheme will be provided with work opportunities within private sector organizations, the public sector, UN agencies and development organizations.
- The Project Procurement Associate contributes to the effective implementation of procurement monitoring and evaluation policies, works with the operations team, and ensures the operational integrity of the Jubilee Fellowship.
- With proper and accurate project financing, the incumbent, supports the design, planning, and management of the Jubilee Fellowship.
- In doing so, s/he works in close collaboration with project staff, other staff of the Unit, operations team, Programme and projects staff in the CO and UNDP HQs staff for resolving complex programme and operations-related issues, ensuring successful CO performance in Finance.
- The goal of the NJPF is to enhance these Fellows with professional and leadership capacities thereby enabling them to positively contribute to the social and economic development prospects of Nigeria. The enrolment of an initial 20,000 Fellows is envisaged followed by a scaling up of the programme in the coming years.
- The Jubilee Fellows Programme will expand opportunities for learning to work transitions for fresh graduates in Nigeria through placement opportunities, job market information, skills transfer and facilitated learning.
- It is designed as a partnership platform that brings together private and public sector actors – including learning institutions to co-create and deploy to scale a viable solution that enhances youth employability, entrepreneurship, and retention of national talent.
- To this end, UNDP Nigeria is seeking a Project Procurement Associate to ensure effective delivery of programme procurement services and transparent utilization of financial resources ensuring the integrity of procurement services.
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the direct supervision of Crisis Prevention and Recovery Advisor, the Project Procurement Associate will be responsible for the following functions and tasks:
Summary of Key Functions
- Support in development and implementation of the Project’s procurement plan in full compliance with UNDP rules and regulations.
- Support to coordination of development and implementation of procurement strategies.
- Support to management of procurement processes.
Specific Functions / Results Expected
Support in development and implementation of the Project’s procurement plan in full compliance with UNDP rules and regulations:
- Promote full compliance of procurement activities with UN/UNDP rules, regulations, policies and procedures; implementation of effective internal controls, and analysis of parameters in support of effective design and functioning of procurement support to the CO;
- Support the implementation of effective monitoring and control of procurement processes in CO including organization of RFQ, ITB or RFP, receipt of quotations, bids or proposals, their evaluation, and contracting in full compliance with UNDP rules and regulation;
- Provide on demand on-site and remote procurement services to the CO as required;
- Provide support to the CO in translating corporate procurement policies and procedures into standard operating procedures for CO-level procurement processes; providing inputs to policy changes at corporate level based on CO experience and evolving needs, as needed.
Support to coordination of development and implementation of procurement strategies:
- Coordinate analysis and development of contract strategies, sourcing strategies, quality management and supplier selection, improvement of procurement processes in the CO;
- Promote and provide support to the CO in introducing and implementing sourcing strategies and use of the Atlas e-procurement module.
Support to management of procurement processes:
- Provide advice and support to the CO for preparation of procurement plans for the CO, and monitoring implementation progress across the region, identifying and analyzing bottlenecks and deficiencies in procurement and proposing solutions;
- Support efforts in quality assurance reviews of procurement plans, advise on improvements, strategies and delivery acceleration measures, providing technical advice for the successful implementation of medium to complex procurement projects;
- Organize evaluation panel meetings; preparing evaluation reports and submission to procurement review committees, as required;
- Preliminary review of CO submissions to procurement committees, as required.
- The Project Procurement Associate would be reporting to the Team Lead for the Jubilees fellowship programme and may require to also follow up with the Procurement/Service center unit of UNDP on issues that may arise regarding the smooth run of the programme.
Innovation – Adept with complex concepts and challenges convention purposefully:
- Contributes to prototyping, piloting, and evaluating lessons / feedback.
Leadership – Generates commitment, excitement, and excellence in others:
- Actively shares knowledge.
Communication and relationship management – Synthesizes information to communicate independent analysis:
- Communicates ideas and positions with command and confidence.
- Finds common ground to solve problems.
People Management – Models independent thinking and action:
- Demonstrates behaviors of teamwork, collaboration, knowledge sharing, maintaining relationships.
Delivery – Meets goals and quality criteria for delivery of products or services:
- Embraces complex challenges and opportunities for getting work done.
- Ability to embrace challenges with minimal supervision.
- Works to develop organizational awareness of UNDP’s approach to client service delivery and integrity and accountability
Technical / Functional Competencies:
- Accounting (General): Knowledge of accounting concepts, principles, regulations, and policies and ability to apply to strategic and/or practical situations.
- Financial management: Ability to create a process to achieve financial goals
- Financial Analysis: Ability to evaluate financial data, derive relevant findings and present them in a meaningful manner
- Risk Management: Ability to identify and prioritize risks, and organize action around mitigating them.
Required Skills and Experience
- Secondary Education with 7 years progressive experience or Bachelor’s Degree in Business Administration or Supply Chain Management, and specialized courses in Procurement, Economics, or related field is required with 4 years progressive experience.
- At least 7 years of relevant experience at the national or international level in procurement related function is a requirement;
- Knowledge of UN/UNDP Procurement Policies and Procedures is desirable;
- CIPS certificate is an advantage;
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills;
- Working knowledge of UN principles, SDGs and international development in Nigeria;
- Demonstrate the ability to showcase cross-disciplinary and cross-functional experience and expertise.
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc.) and advance knowledge of spreadsheet and database packages, experience in handling of web-based management systems and ERP financials, preferably PeopleSoft;
- Good knowledge of ERP systems (such as PeopleSoft) is desirable;
- Experience with UN/UNDP procurement actions is desirable;
- Fluency in spoken and written English.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
Application Deadline 13th January, 2022 at 05:59 AM.