Nuru Nigeria is a local NGO with affiliates in the US, Kenya and Ethiopia, and is starting up operations in Nigeria. The mission is to end extreme poverty in remote rural communities. Nuru’s first involvement in Nigeria was established in 2017 and began work in 2018 in Adamawa State, Nigeria with the creation of Nuru Nigeria. The long-term goal of Nuru Nigeria is the establishment of a locally led, self-sustainable, Nigerian NGO which will continue to work with local rural communities indefinitely.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Payroll Officer
Employment Type: Full-time
Reports to: Human Resources / Admin Manager
- The Payroll Officer is a key member of the Admin team.
- She/he will assist the HR/Admin Manager (HAM) with financial, accounting and budgeting support.
- She/he will maintain accurate financial, accounting, and payroll records in compliance with USAID rules and regulations, and assist with financial reporting, other related duties.
- Responsible for the preparation and processing of payroll for all National employees with information received from the field.
- Review and ensure the accuracy of approved timesheets; track and deduct all and other statutory payroll deductions.
- Maintaining payroll operations by following Nuru Nigeria policies and procedures.
- Answering staff queries about timesheets or pay slips.
- Coordinate with Finance Department to make sure accurate payments are made,
- Serves as the primary point of contact for payroll matters and liaises with other departments and individuals on operational and programmatic matters concerning the Payroll.
- To maintain confidentiality and professional ethics for all personnel paperwork, records, and issues pertaining to staff in the Field Office.
- Responsible for the coordination efforts between payroll, human resources, Finance, and other departments to ensure proper flow and maintenance of employee data (including preparation/distribution of detailed reports, e.g. labour ” home” work, overtime, leave balances, headcount, and Pension contribution reports are accurate).
- Monitor submissions of approved timesheets, and ensure valid data transfers to/from payroll service.
- Establish/maintain employee records; ensure that employee changes are entered correctly and made on a timely basis; review changes for proper authorization and adherence to Nuru Nigeria Policy including compliance with federal/state/local regulation.
- Calculating and preparing payment requests by cash, cheque or electronic transfer for Staff benefits and relocation allowance.
- Deducting tax and national insurance payments.
- Calculating Acting Pay and pay increases.
- Perform other duties as needed or requested by the HR/Admin Manage.
Key Performance Measures
- Running of payroll.
- Advise & recovery of payments and deductions from subsidiaries.
- Remittance of statutory deductions – PAYE, Pension, NHF & NSITF.
- Providing support to the Finance and Operations Manager.
- Monitoring/resolution of remedy requests to prevent escalations.
- Degree in Human Resource Management / Business Administration / Accounting required.
- 2 plus years’ experience in Payroll Management performing all payroll functions.
- Excellent problem-solving/judgment skills, and a high level of attention to detail and accuracy.
- Strong organizational skills, and the ability to work under pressure.
- Ability to handle and prioritize multiple tasks and meet all deadlines.
- Excellent skills using MS Word, Excel, Access, and Internet Explorer.
- Strong skills in using and understanding the flow of transactions in an integrated and automated payroll accounting system.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and exercise extreme discretion.
Skills and Abilities:
- Advanced proficiency in Microsoft Windows, Word, Excel, Access and Microsoft Outlook.
- Must be detail-oriented and able to work independently with minimal supervision.
- Excellent interpersonal, organizational, communication and time management skills.
- Ability to organize tasks simultaneously, prioritize work and ensure tasks are completed by the deadline.
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
- Willing to adhere to and carry out the Nuru Nigeria rules.
- Confidence with numbers.
- A high level of accuracy and attention to detail.
- Skills in the use of database management, word processing, spreadsheet, and/or presentation software.
- Organizing and coordinating skills.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Able to cope with basic living conditions during a field trip.
- Honest, reliable and trustworthy.
- Fluency in spoken and written English and Hausa.
- Ability to work under pressure.
- Ability to maintain the highest degree of discretion and confidentiality.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should send their CV to: [email protected] using the Job Title as the subject of the mail
Application Deadline 3rd December, 2022.