The International Organization for Migration (IOM) – Established in 1951, IOM is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
We are recruiting to fill the position of:
Job Title: National Migration Health Physician
Location: Lagos, Nigeria
Organizational Unit: Migration Health Assessment Center
IOM Classification: NOA
Type of Appointment: Special Short-Term (SST) 6 months with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date: As soon as possible
- Under the overall supervision of the Chief of Mission (CoM) and the direct supervision of the Migration Health Officer, the successful candidate will be responsible for carrying out the following duties and responsibilities in relation to the Migration Health Assessment Centre (MHAC) in Lagos, Nigeria. In particular, he/she will:
Core Functions / Responsibilities
- Performing migration health assessment and completing related medical documentation of refugees selected for migration in accordance with the resettlement country’s Medical Examination Guidelines / Protocols for Immigrants and the IOM Migration Health Assessment Guidelines.
- Providing technical guidance to IOM medical staff in IOM Abuja / Lagos to ensure that the following activities are performed in accordance with the technical requirements of the resettlement countries:
- Medical case registration
- Medical treatment and follow up programs
- Data Processing and management
- Pre-embarkation medical examination of departing refugees
- Contributing to the analysis and technical elaboration of data gathered from the migration health assessment.
- Coordinating with the local/national health authorities, physicians, hospitals and laboratories, as needed.
- Assisting in the preparation, design, analysis and implementation of research activities related to migration health, tuberculosis and sexually transmitted diseases.
- Assisting in developing potential health and migration projects / programmes for the mission.
- Performing any other related duties that the direct supervisor may assign.
- University Degree in Medicine from an accredited academic institution with at least two years of professional work experience.
- Minimum of two (2) years, post-internship, continuous clinical experience, preferably in a multidisciplinary hospital setting,
- Valid license to practice in Nigeria is mandatory.
- Continuous clinical experience in busy public or private hospitals
- Training / experience in Paediatrics, Internal Medicine or Infectious Diseases is an advantage.
- Demonstrated proficiency with Microsoft Office applications, including Excel, PowerPoint, Word and SharePoint.
- Attentive to details and accuracy in handling and reporting data
- Willing to accept flexible work schedule.
- Fluency in English (oral and written) required, working knowledge of the local language.
The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following competencies:
- Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
- Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
- Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2:
- Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
- Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
- Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
- Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action-oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
Managerial Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2:
- Leadership: provides a clear sense of direction, leads by example and demonstrates the ability to carry out the organization’s vision; assists others to realize and develop their potential.
- Empowering others & building trust: creates an atmosphere of trust and an enabling environment where staff can contribute their best and develop their potential.
- Strategic thinking and vision: works strategically to realize the Organization’s goals and communicates a clear strategic direction.
- Only candidates residing in the country of the duty station and within commuting distance of the duty station will be considered.
- Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, confirmation of all documents, and security clearances.
- Women with the above qualifications are encouraged to apply.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should send their Applications to: [email protected] indicating position applied for as the subject of the mail.
Click here to fill application form
- In order for the applications to be considered valid, IOM only accepts applications with a cover letter not more than one page specifying the motivation for application, addressed to Human Resources, International Organization for Migration (IOM) and with a subject line SVN2022.026. Lagos.. National Migration Health Physician.
- All applications should include a functional email address, mobile numbers, and detailed curriculum vitae (CV).
- Please note that this position is open only to Nigerian National applicants and only shortlisted candidates will be contacted
Application Deadline 20th March, 2022.