Center for Civilians in Conflict (CIVIC) Center is an international nonprofit with offices around the world working to improve protection for civilians caught in conflict zones. Our mission is to work with armed actors and civilians in conflict to develop and implement solutions to prevent, mitigate, and respond civilian harm. We are advocates who believe that no civilian caught in conflict should be ignored, and advisors who provide practical solutions to preventing and responding to civilian harm.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Monitoring & Evaluation Officer
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Reports To: Team Lead
- The Monitoring, Evaluation, and Learning (MEL) Officer to support in developing, implementing, and maintaining effective and appropriate Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning systems for our programs which range from Training of community self-protection committees across LGAs, training on the protection of civilians in conflict for relevant security forces, members of community vigilante, civilian joint task force and hunter groups, institutional training programs, Research and Advocacy.
- The purpose of this role is to ensure the systems once in place are in line with donor requirements and with CIVIC’s guidelines and best practices.
- Based on the project proposal, implementation plan, and donor reporting requirements, support the development of a system for capturing and documenting data and relevant information on project activities, beneficiaries, outputs, outcomes, and impacts, which is feasible, practical, and “user friendly”, and will obtain valid and reliable information.
- Ensure that systems developed capture both quantitative and qualitative information.
- Create a system for ensuring that information obtained is also shared with relevant stakeholders through a regular feedback mechanism.
- Provide ongoing support to field teams, partners, and communities to maintain ME&L systems; identify skill gaps that can be addressed in subsequent refresher trainings.
- Lead in the preparation of monthly and quarterly reports for CIVIC Nigeria and others involved in the project (including the donor) ensuring utmost quality.
- Periodically share results with teams and CIVIC internal reporting platforms.
- Identify the need for additional technical support to ensure effective program delivery and coordinate the allocation of that support.
- Work closely with Senior Advisor, MEL & MEL Officer at HQ to provide relevant strategic MEL support to country program.
- Help coordinate overall project review and evaluation activities as required. This includes coordinating mid-term and final evaluations and supporting donor and external reviews as required.
- Ensure regular reviews of the ME&L system itself, making improvements as needed and recommended, in consultation with managers, staff, and partners.
- Ensure an effective roll-out of MEL collection and reporting systems to all staff and partners through training, site visits, manuals, and other technical support as needed. Ensure systems are well understood and properly implemented by staff and partners.
- Ensure that all tools are practical to use and accommodate different levels of expertise and computer literacy, from community groups, to partners, to project staff.
- Work with field teams to establish reporting processes to ensure that all information and data is collected, documented, and collated in an accurate and timely manner.
- Work with the other team members and Field Leadership Team to ensure that the donor ME&L system is well linked and/or integrated with overall ME&L systems for CIVIC.
- Help provide training to partners to develop basic ME&L systems and tools they can use for other related projects, if they are successful in obtaining external funding
- Analyze information about the program and make recommendations for improvement.
- Any other duties assigned by your supervisor.
Educational Qualification & Experience Requirements
- Advanced training in quantitative methodologies, including database management.
- 5 years of direct experience of monitoring and evaluation in one or more of these sectors: I/NGO, Development, and Humanitarian/Emergency.
- Strong analytic skills, and an understanding of a range of methods for monitoring, evaluation and assessment to promote evidence-based learning. Demonstrated ability to design, commission, and manage assessment methodologies and evaluation.
- Good understanding of media and communication.
- Computer literate.
- Commitment to support cross organizational initiatives.
- Commitment to team working and understanding of how to contribute.
- Ability to operate within a predominantly administratively self-servicing environment.
- Ability to reside/travel frequently within the activity locations
- Professional qualification at postgraduate level or equivalent in relevant fields
- Experience of qualitative research techniques
- Experience in international development.
- Ability to build support from staff across teams and to build the capacity of others.
- Proven ability to coordinate effective resource allocation to ensure quality programs.
- Sound strategic thinking and planning skills, including ability to think creatively and innovate and to set priorities, manageable workplans and evaluate progress.
- Strong communications skills (both written and verbal). The ability to analyze complex data and summarize it for a range of different audiences.
- Experience of working within budget constraints.
- Commitment to CIVIC’s mission, values and approach
- Nationally and LGAs within Northeast Nigeria
- This job description is not an exhaustive list of the skill, effort, duties, and responsibilities associated with the position.
- Fluency in oral and written English is required. Fluency in Hausa is desirable. Kanuri is an advantage.
Key Working Relationships:
- Internal-All staff (Program & Operation staff)
- External -Donor Representatives & Relevant security forces.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
Application Deadline 27th September, 2021.