The International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) is an impartial, neutral and independent organisation whose exclusively humanitarian mission is to protect the lives and dignity of victims of armed conflict and other situations of violence and to provide them with assistance.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Legal Adviser 1
Employment Type: Permanent
- Under the supervision of the Operational Legal Coordinator, the Legal Adviser 1 advises on national implementation of international humanitarian law (IHL) in Nigeria as well as maintaining an extensive and effective network among the Government of the Federation, Nigerian authorities, the National Assembly, and other relevant actors (CSO, etc.) for that purpose. S/He initiates, formulates and implements strategies to advance ratification of relevant treaties and national implementation of the law. S/He guides research on related issues as well as analysis of the national legal system, including repression of violations of IHL.
- Analyses the situation, advises and provides guidance on the national implementation of IHL and international human rights law (IHRL) and related political developments
- Monitors developments in the national implementation of IHL and relevant international human rights law (IHRL) norms.
- Is responsible for the implementation of strategies, programmes and action plans related to IHL treaty participation, the development of relevant domestic legal and policy frameworks and mechanisms for their implementation.
- Provides legal advice and technical assistance to national authorities.
- Supports IHL dissemination activities directed at specialized audiences.
- Coordinates and supervises external consultancies on legal issues.
- Ensures coordination and flow of information to the Regional Legal Adviser as well as other relevant departments within the ICRC.
- Sets and follows up on objectives, strategies and plans of action to address identified legal issues related to national implementation of IHL.
- Represents the delegation in meetings with external partners and contacts. In particular, maintains close relationship with and interacts with the National IHL Committee and key members of that Committee.
- Establishes and maintains an effective network of actors of influence within the civil society and the Government of Nigeria, notably the Ministry of Justice, Ministry of Foreign Affairs, the Presidency, the Vice-Presidency, the National Assembly.
Education and Experience Required
- Degree in Law
- Called to the Nigerian Bar an asset
- Studied international law with a strong understanding of international humanitarian, human rights and criminal law
- Proven research and analytical skills; able to think critically and articulate legal arguments in a structured and professional manner
- Excellent spoken and written English; passive understanding of French as asset
- Excellent writing and oral communication skills
- Computer literacy (competency in Microsoft Office and legal research databases)
- Understanding of the work and role of the ICRC in Nigeria
- 3-5 years relevant work experience, preferably in international humanitarian law, international human rights law, and Nigerian criminal law
- Relevant work experience in international organisations, Nigerian organisations or Government
- Desired profile and Skills
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should send their Curriculum vitae, Application Letter and NYSC Certificate to: [email protected] Clearly indicate “ABJ202100194 Legal Adviser 1 ABJ” as the subject of your application (Applications intended for this role without this subject will not be treated).
In the body of the mail, please indicate the following in the format as seen:
- Current location
- Languages you speak
- Years of relevant experience
Application Deadline 25th September, 2021.