The International Organization for Migration (IOM) – Established in 1951, IOM is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
We are recruiting to fill the position of:
Job Title: Laboratory Technologist (Technician), Maternity Replacement
SVN No.: SVN2022.20
Organizational Unit: Migration Health Assessment Center
IOM Classification: G4
Type of Appointment: Special Short–Term (SST) 5 Months Only
Estimated Start Date: As soon as possible
- Under the direct supervision of the Laboratory Supervisor and the overall supervision of the Chief Migration Health Officer (CMHO) the incumbent will be responsible for technical support to laboratory services with respect to Migration Health Assessments (HAP) and other programmes implemented by the IOM Migration Health Division in country in Abuja, Nigeria.
- In particular, the incumbent will perform the following duties:
Core Functions / Responsibilities
- Perform laboratory procedures as assigned by the supervisor for pre-examination, examination, and post examination activities through the use of the standard relevant equipment.
- Ensure standards and the quality of laboratory procedures by strictly following the Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs).
- Participate in the development and updating of SOPs as needed.
- IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive work environment. Read more about diversity and inclusion at IOM at www.iom.int/diversity.
- Applications are welcome from first- and second-tier candidates, particularly qualified female candidates. For all IOM vacancies, applications from qualified and eligible first-tier candidates are considered before those of qualified and eligible second-tier candidates in the selection process.
- Participate in the improvement of the service system according to adopted work plan in the laboratory.
- Adhere to biosafety measures adopted in the laboratory, minding the safety of oneself and others.
- Organize and operate activities on assigned station for accurate, efficient, and timely delivery of results.
- Perform quality control activities for assigned stations and document results as required.
- Facilitate in maintenance of laboratory equipment in good working order and operate equipment appropriately following SOPs.
- Facilitate in laboratory stock management and monitor that the equipment and consumables are sufficient for the anticipated work.
- Facilitate to maintenance of established system of organized record keeping and information management for timely delivery of results, data collection, analysis and reporting for laboratory monitoring and facilitation to operational research.
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
- Completed Bachelor’s Degree or Diploma from an accredited academic institution in Medical Laboratory Sciences.
- At least two years of relevant laboratory experience in a busy institution, preferably in a Laboratory
- Relevant technical knowledge and practices to personnel and laboratory operations.
- Good awareness of the laboratory role in health systems, optimal use of resources for quality and efficient services delivery.
- Computer literate with understanding of accurate data collection and analysis for monitoring and continuous improvement of laboratory services and performance.
- Fluency in English and French required, working knowledge of multiple languages is an advantage.
- The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following competencies:
- Inclusion and respect for diversity respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
- Integrity and transparency: maintain high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
- Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent, and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2:
- Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
- Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
- Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring, and motivational way.
- Delivering results produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Managing and sharing knowledge continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge, and innovate.
- Only candidates residing in the country of the duty station and within commuting distance of the duty station will be considered.
- Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, confirmation of all documents, and security clearances.
- Women with the above qualifications are encouraged to apply.
- In order for the applications to be considered valid, IOM only accepts applications with a cover letter not more than one page specifying the motivation for application, addressed to Human Resources, International Organization for Migration (IOM) and with a subject line SVN2022.20 Abuja. Laboratory Technologist (Technician) Maternity Replacement G4.
- All applications should include a functional email address, mobile numbers, and detailed curriculum vitae (CV).
- Please note that this position is open only to Nigerian National applicants and only shortlisted candidates will be contacted
Application Deadline 14th March, 2022.