Save the Children is the leading independent organization for children in need, with programs in over 120 countries. We save children’s lives. We fight for their rights. We help them fulfil their potential. Save the Children is working in Nigeria because one in five children in Nigeria dies before their fifth birthday. About 40% of children miss out on school and have to work to survive while nearly 2 million children have lost one or both parents to an AIDS-related disease.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Human Resources and Administrative Officer
Job ID: 210004PN
Location: Cross River
Team / Programme: HR & Admin Team
Employee Status: Fixed Term
Reports to: Field Manager
Staff directly reporting to this post: 3
Budget responsibility: No
Level 3: The post holder will have contact with children and/or young people either frequently (e.g. once a week or more) or intensively (e.g. four days in one month or more or overnight) because they work country programs; or are visiting country programs; or because they are responsible for implementing the police checking/vetting process staff.
- The role holder will be responsible for the provision and management of effective HR and administrative services in the Ogoja office and field locations.
- The Human Resource and Administration Officer will contribute to ensuring that Save the Children’s commitment to improving quality and accountability in humanitarian work is upheld, through reference to Save the Children Quality Standards and endeavours to implement effective administration systems.
Key Areas of Accountability
- Receive applications from prospective candidates and maintain an applicant database
- Develop a standard induction pack and maintain an induction schedule for new staff
- Participate in panels as well as in the short listing and interviewing as well as negotiating offers for prospective staff
- Participate in the planning and facilitation of Global Inductions for new hires within Save the Children in Nigeria on a monthly basis.
- Assist HR Manager in developing and maintaining contacts with other key INGO players to undertake a regular review of their terms and conditions of their salary structures
- Assist with the analysis of HR needs of a programme and look for sustainable solutions. Provide a generalist HR service to managers across a full range of HR issues
Human Resource Management:
- Assist the Human Resource Manager in the development of annual needs for development / training through the formal performance review process
- Identify training courses and their costs and maintain a list of available courses
- Research training opportunities as prioritised by the SMT or as requested by supervisors
- Provide support to supervisors to arrange training opportunities for staff
- Preparation of consultancy contracts for national and international consultants as well as keeping an updated and accessible database of consultants in line with acceptable SCI procedures.
Administration and Office Management:
- Management of Office facilities and travel for the Country operations
- Ensure the Ogoja office is well equipped, has sufficient levels of supplies (consumables, stationery, equipment) etc, is fully functioning and fit for purpose to enable all staff to operate with maximum efficiency
- Oversee the maintenance of Ogoja office premises/residences, furniture, fittings and all equipment in a fully functioning state
- Develop, manage, and oversee effective relationships with service providers suppliers, landlords, etc, ensuring transparency and value for money
- Manage and supervise the Administrative and Office Assistants
- Liaise with the Programme Operations (field and Abuja) to ensure that shared office support functions run smoothly, and resources are used efficiently and effectively
- Ensure compliance with Save the Children Quality Standards, Global Policies and Guidelines
- Pro-actively identify potential problems affecting staff and the running of the office, proposing solutions and working to put them in place
- Manage the Support Services budget including preparation and monitoring; manage cash flow forecasting and supervise the petty cash for support services
Travel, Logistics & Events:
- Oversee the management for all travel, business visas, and accommodation for visitors, consultants, and staff on official Save the Children business. Ensure that travel is on schedule and cost effective and that visits to Country Programmes occur with a minimum of disruption and downtime
- Ensure that meetings and conferences are effectively managed in the Ogoja ensuring value for money and transparency in all the processes.
- Internal: SO Management team
- External: Other INGOs, Statutory bodies.
Behaviours (Values In Practice)
- Cccuracy and timeliness in all areas of responsibility
- High level of accuracy in work, and ability to analyse complex sets of relationships and situations
- Holds self and others accountable
- Creating best-in-class EA function
- Future-orientated, thinks pro-actively
- Working effectively with stakeholders to achieve common goals
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Builds and maintains effective relationships, with their team, colleagues, members and external partners
- Approachable, good listener, easy to talk to
- Designing more effective admin systems
- Willing to take disciplined risks
- Honest, encourages openness and transparency, demonstrates highest levels of integrity.
- University degree in Human Resources Management, Business Administration, or equivalent in relevant field.
Experience And Skills:
- A minimum of 5 years of experience in a Human Resources and Administration role in a corporate or INGO environment
- Experience of negotiating service contracts and ensuring value for money
- Excellent communication skills in order to deal tactfully and sensitively with a wide range of people
- Excellent organisational skills and a track record of consistently prioritising delivering on time
- A high level of computer literacy
- Good judgement, initiative and problem solving ability
- Commitment to Save the Children’s mission and values.
- Proven ability to provide high level support to management teams
- Ability to plan and organise a substantial workload that including complex, diverse tasks and responsibilities
- Experience of managing and developing teams
- Experience of setting up and maintaining management information systems and office systems
- Experience of effective budget development and management
- Staff & Performance Management
- Willing and able to travel around the state as needed.
- Experienceworking with a diverse team
- Experience working in Emergencies.
- We employ approximately 25,000 people across the globe and work on the ground in over 100 countries to help children affected by crises, or those that need better healthcare, education and child protection. We also campaign and advocate at the highest levels to realise the right of children and to ensure their voices are heard.
- We are working towards three breakthroughs in how the world treats children by 2030:
- No child dies from preventable causes before their 5th birthday
- All children learn from a quality basic education and that,
- Violence against children is no longer tolerated
- We know that great people make a great organization, and that our employees play a crucial role in helping us achieve our ambitions for children. We value our people and offer a meaningful and rewarding career, along with a collaborative and inclusive workplace where ambition, creativity, and integrity are highly valued.
Additional Job Responsibilities:
- The duties and responsibilities as set out above are not exhaustive and the role holder may be required to carry out additional duties within reasonableness of their level of skills and experience.
- The role holder is required to carry out the duties in accordance with the SCI Equal Opportunities and Diversity policies and procedures.
- We need to keep children safe so our selection process, which includes rigorous background checks, reflects our commitment to the protection of children from abuse.
Health and Safety:
- The role holder is required to carry out the duties in accordance with SCI Health and Safety policies and procedures.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
Note: Save the Children does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process
Application Deadline 15th July, 2021.