The World Bank Group – Established in 1944, the WBG is one of the world’s largest sources of funding and knowledge for development solutions. In fiscal year 2018, the WBG committed $67 billion in loans, grants, equity investments and guarantees to its members and private businesses, of which $24 billion was concessional finance to its poorest members. It is governed by 188-member countries and delivers services out of 120 offices with nearly 15,000 staff located globally.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Human Resource (HR) Business Partner
Job #: req18538
Sector: Human Resources
Term Duration: 3 years 0 months
Recruitment Type: Local Recruitment
- The HR Client Service team covering the Africa regions (HRDC1) is seeking to recruit a Human Resources Business Partner (HRBP) to support IBRD Nigeria and Ethiopia Country Management Units (CMU) in Abuja, Nigeria.
- Do you want to build a career that is truly worthwhile? Working at the World Bank Group provides a unique opportunity for you to help our clients solve their greatest development challenges.
- The World Bank Group is one of the largest sources of funding and knowledge for developing countries; a unique global partnership of five institutions dedicated to ending extreme poverty, increasing shared prosperity, and promoting sustainable development.
- With 189 member countries and more than 120 offices worldwide, we work with public and private sector partners, investing in groundbreaking projects and using data, research, and technology to develop solutions to the most urgent global challenges.
The HR Business Partner Role
- The HR Business Partner serves as an advisor to clients, staff, and managers on a wide range of HR-related initiatives, programs, and issues.
- S/he should have broad-based knowledge and extensive experience in all major facets of HR management, current and emerging trends, and practices; and in-depth knowledge and experience in one or more functional areas of specialization.
- Advise and assist managers on workforce planning considering existing and anticipated work requirements and institutional goals/objectives, e.g., analyze and advise on appropriate staffing levels, skill mix, work force diversity that corresponds to work program requirements and advances corporate goals, including support to job definition and selection of candidates, staff reassignment, mobility issues, and exit strategies and processes.
- Understand the business model of the client and assist the managers in identifying emerging HR implications for their work force.
- Contribute to policy development by actively working with other HR departments on the need to adjust policy and ensure effective program implementation.
- Advise and support in the design and implementation of organizational effectiveness interventions, facilitation, development, and management of high performing teams.
- Mobilize resources from the HR Team and other units within HRS and outside, as required, to support effective HR management in the client area.
- Participate as a team member on HR projects, working groups, task forces, etc. in the client area and/or at corporate level.
- Proactive use of HR analytics to understand the staffing trends in the client area.
- Advise managers and staff on effective career development and performance management, and take the lead in identifying, assessing, and resolving issues, problems, and conflicts, drawing on other Bank resources as appropriate.
- Advise staff and managers on HR policies and practices; Provides support on managing complex cases (e.g., performance, health, and exit).
- Contribute to the implementation of the corporate HR agenda.
Planning and Analytics, and Work Force Management:
- Proactively use HR analytics to understand the staffing trends in the client area.
- Advise and assist managers in workforce planning, taking into account existing and anticipated work requirements and institutional goals/objectives, e.g. analyze and advise on appropriate staffing levels, skill mix, work force diversity that corresponds to work program requirements and advances corporate goals, including support to job definition and selection of candidates, staff reassignment, mobility issues, and exit strategies and processes.
- Understand the business model of the client and ability to assist the client managers in identifying the emerging HR implications for their work force.
Management of Performance and Development:
- Advise managers and staff on effective career and performance management, and take the lead in identifying, assessing and resolving issues, problems, and conflicts, drawing on other World Bank Group resources as appropriate.
- Provide support on managing complex cases (e.g. performance, health and exit).
Organizational Effectiveness / Business Consulting:
- Advise and support in the design and implementation of organizational effectiveness interventions, facilitation, development and management of high performing teams;
- Participate as a team member on HR projects, working groups, task forces, etc. in the client area and/or at corporate level;
- Contribute to the implementation of the corporate HR agenda.
- Mobilize resources from the HR Team and other units within the World Bank Group HR Function, as required, to support effective HR management in the client area;
- Advise staff and managers on HR policies and practices.
- Provide strategic advice to develop innovative HR approaches and solutions to complex problems using judgement and leveraging HR resources as appropriate.
- Contribute to policy development by actively working with the Policy Unit on the need to adjust policy and by contributing to policy reviews.
- The successful candidate should possess a Master’s degree in HR or related field and have a minimum of five (05) years’ significant experience in HR.
- Prior experience in recruitment, training, performance management, management coaching and HR consulting is desirable.
- Proven ability to identify and implement business related HR interventions, and ability to maximize the value-added resources available within HRS in order to provide high quality client services;
- Professional integrity, willingness and flexibility to “roll-up your sleeves” to engage in all aspects of HR work from identification and design to implementation;
- Excellent team skills, ability to collaborate and share knowledge with colleagues and clients at all levels;
- Demonstrated excellent communication and conflict resolution skills, and
- Ability to create trusting working relationships/partnerships within and across units.
- Candidates with prior experience working in international organizations or multi-national corporations are encouraged to apply.
- Sound knowledge of general HR policies, processes and systems;
- Demonstrated strong analytical skills;
- Continuously enhances understanding of HR theory and practice; keeps abreast of emerging developments in the broader organizational and professional context.
- Integrates complex information, ideas and analyses from multiple sources inside and outside the organization; readily identifies interactions, connections and operational implications.
- Analyses based on deep understanding of HR, clients and other relevant data; draws correct conclusions and makes recommendations that balance risks and address needs of clients and the broader WBG.
- Advocates for integrity and ethical behavior within HR and client organizations; monitors own and team progress on projects and other work, in order to meet commitments; assists colleagues and team in identifying and advancing HR and WBG perspectives.
- Anticipates and addresses sources of potential conflict among colleagues or clients; demonstrates tact and discretion in handling difficult and/or sensitive matters; provides regular, consistent, and meaningful information to clients, HR staff and individuals; delivers difficult or unpopular messages with clarity, tact and diplomacy.
Commitment to Mission and Values:
- Models values that reflect desired culture and climate; identifies conflicts between mission/values and operational practices, and seeks to address.
- Develops and maintains internal networks to inform understanding of the WBG’s business, client needs and potential solutions; promotes dialogue on significant issues; own recommendations reflect a solid understanding of WBG context as well as client needs.
- Accepts responsibility to address change needs and resolve ambiguity; works with stakeholders to identify and implement appropriate change
- Identifies need and opportunity for marketing/promoting HR initiatives and advocates for these within and outside HR; draws on understanding of issues, impacts on others involved and own experience in order to support a position.
The World Bank Group offers comprehensive benefits, including a retirement plan; medical, life and disability insurance; and paid leave, including parental leave, as well as reasonable accommodations for individuals with disabilities.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
Application Deadline 9th August, 2022 (11:59pm UTC).
Note: We are proud to be an equal opportunity and inclusive employer with a dedicated and committed workforce, and do not discriminate based on gender, gender identity, religion, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, or disability