Marriott International is a leading global Lodging company based in Bethesda, Maryland, USA, with more than 4,100 properties in 79 countries and reported revenues of nearly $14 billion in fiscal year 2014. Its heritage can be traced to a root beer stand opened in Washington, D.C., in 1927 by J. Willard and Alice S. Marriott.
Marriott has more than 361,000 people working worldwide at managed or franchised properties and corporate offices. Marriott has been consistently recognized as a top employer and for its superior business ethics. The company also manages the award-winning guest loyalty program, Marriott Rewards® and The Ritz-Carlton Rewards® program, which together surpass 49M members.
We are recruiting to fill the position of:
Job Title: Hotel Manager (Sheraton)
Job Number: 21118578
Location: Sheraton Lagos Hotel, 30 Mobolaji Bank Anthony Way, Lagos
Brand: Sheraton Hotels & Resorts
Job Category: Property Leadership
Position Type: Management
Located Remotely?: N
- Functions as the strategic business leader of property operations and acts as General Manager in his/her absence.
- Areas of responsibility include Front Office, Retail/Gift Shops, Recreation/Fitness Center, Housekeeping, Security/Loss Prevention, Engineering/Maintenance, Food and Beverage/Culinary and Event Management, where applicable.
- Position works with direct reports (Executive Committee members and department heads) to develop and implement the operations strategy and ensuring implementation of the brand service strategy and brand initiatives.
- The position ensuring operations meet the brand’s target customer needs, ensuring employee satisfaction, focuses on growing revenues and maximizes financial performance.
- As a member of the Executive Committee, develops and implements property-wide strategies that deliver products and services to meet or exceed the needs and expectations of the brand’s target customer and property employees and provides a return on investment.
Core Work Activities
Managing Profitability and Departmental Budgets:
- Keeps operations team focused on the critical components of operations to drive guest satisfaction and the desired financial results.
- Identifies and analyzes operational challenges and facilitates the development of solutions to prevent reoccurrence.
- Coaches and supports operations team to effectively manage occupancy & rate, wages and controllable expenses.
- Reviews the Wage Progress Report and compares budgeted wages to actual wages, coaching direct reports to address problem areas and holds team accountable for results.
- Develops an operational strategy that is aligned with the brand’s business strategy and leads its execution.
- Makes and executes key decisions to keep property moving forward towards achievement of goals.
- Ensures that all operational areas have an atmosphere that is conducive to the overall guest experience.
- Reviews financial reports and statements to determine how Operations is performing against budget.
- Ensures capital expenditure funds are being used to address the priorities outlined in the service strategy.
- Works with direct reports to determine areas of concern and establishing ways to improve the departments’ financial performance.
- Strives to maintain profit margins without compromising guest or employee satisfaction.
Managing Property Operations:
- Strives to improve service performance.
- Communicates a clear and consistent message regarding operational goals to produce desired results on a continuous basis.
- Ensures core elements of the service strategy are in place to produce the desired results.
- Tours building on a regular basis speaking with employees and guests to understand business needs and assess operational opportunities.
- Ensures brand and regional business initiatives are implemented and communicates follow-up actions to team as necessary.
Leading Property Operations Teams:
- Establishes a vision for product and service delivery on property.
- Champions the brand’s service vision for product and service delivery and ensuring alignment amongst the property leadership team.
- Ensures employees are treated fairly and equitably.
Managing and Conducting Human Resources Activities:
- Observes service behaviors of employees and providing feedback to individuals and/or managers.
- Hires operations management team members who demonstrate strong functional expertise, creativity and entrepreneurial leadership to meet the business needs of the operation.
- Stays knowledgeable of leadership talent in the property.
- Fosters employee commitment to providing excellent service, participating in daily stand-up meetings and models desired service behaviors in all interactions with guests and employees.
- Conducts annual performance appraisals with direct reports according to Standard Operating Procedures.
- Utilizes an “open door” policy and reviewing employee satisfaction results to identify and address employee problems or concerns.
Education and Experience:
- 2-year Degree from an accredited university in Business Administration, Hotel and Restaurant Management, or related major; 8 years’ experience in the management operations, sales and marketing, or related professional area.
- 4-year Bachelor’s Degree in Business Administration, Hotel and Restaurant Management, or related major; 6 years’ experience in the management operations, sales and marketing, or related professional area.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
- Marriott International is an equal opportunity employer. We believe in hiring a diverse workforce and sustaining an inclusive, people-first culture. We are committed to non-discrimination on any protected basis, such as disability and veteran status, or any other basis covered under applicable law