Action Against Hunger is the world’s hunger specialist and leader in a global movement that aims to end life-threatening hunger for good within our lifetimes. For 40 years, the humanitarian and development organization has been on the front lines, treating and preventing hunger across nearly 50 countries. It served more than 21 million people in 2018 alone.
We are recruiting to fill the position of:
Job Title: Head of Department – Advocacy and Communications
Location: Abuja (with frequent travels across AAH field offices)
Employment Type: Full Time
Experience Level: Executive
Direct Line Manager: Country Director
Proposed Start date: September/October 2021
Company Overview / Job Description
- Action Against Hunger (Action Contre la Faim – ACF) began operations in Nigeria in 2010 in response to the high rate of chronic malnutrition in Northern Nigeria, focusing on integrated programming and looking at the Nutrition for children, pregnant and lactating mothers.
- In 2011, we expanded our work to begin implementing nutrition development projects in Jigawa and Yobe. Following the crises in Northeast Nigeria, we further expanded our operations in Borno State in 2014 in response to the crisis to address the Nutrition, Health, Food security & livelihoods, WASH, and shelter needs of conflict-affected communities. We are operational in 11 Local Government Areas of Borno, 12 in Yobe, and 3 in Jigawa.
- The mission has over 400 staff including over 25 international employees. There are four base offices: Potiskum, Maiduguri, Monguno, and Dutse, and three sub-bases including Damaturu and Bade.
- Action Against Hunger Nigeria Mission is looking for a Head of Advocacy and Communications to lead the development of advocacy and communication strategies and contribute to the overall programs and influence of Action Against Hunger in the country.
- Lead on the definition and the implementation of the country-specific advocacy and communications strategy in close collaboration with other Coordinators and HQ advisors ensuring alignment with the mission’s global and regional Advocacy strategy and objectives;
- Guide advocacy strategy development and priority setting for aforementioned working groups in Nigeria, ensuring views of Action Against Hunger are represented and included;
- Responsible for advocacy initiatives when appropriate, in multiple programs as well as coordinating advocacy work for Action Against Hunger for both the Lake Chad Basin and the Sahel Region;
- Responsible for advocacy campaigns when appropriate, in multiple programs as well as coordinating advocacy and communication work for Action Against Hunger for Nigeria.
- Train AAH teams in Nigeria about their role in advocacy, humanitarian principles, AAH mandate and ways of working and International Humanitarian Law/legal frameworks as appropriate. Promote the application of humanitarian principles in daily operational and advocacy activities within AAH teams and externally;
- Maintain a regular close collaboration and work with the program departments and field offices (nutrition, WASH, FSL teams) to collect their analysis of the situation supported by data and testimonies from ongoing and relevant assessments/activities;
- Collaborate with external stakeholders and headquarters to ensure collaboration in the development and implementation of advocacy work for the Nigeria mission;
- Contribute and oversee the mission’s communication strategy and implementation.
- Guide strategic direction of advocacy initiatives for Action Against Hunger including actively seeking funding for these through proposal development.
- Ensure the coherent contribution of the mission Advocacy Strategy to the global advocacy initiatives of the Action Network Against Hunger;
- Implement the advocacy work plan with specific advocacy and communications objectives and activities, as well as a calendar and budget;
- Develop monitoring and evaluation tools that assesses the impact and cost effectiveness of advocacy and communications activities and helps in the development of new activities;
- Degree in Law, International Relations, Development Studies and Planning or a related field from an accredited academic institution;
- Minimum of 4 to 5 years’ relevant professional experience in advocacy and communications;
- Excellent management, organizational, motivational, and leadership skills;
- Proven exposure to high-level stakeholders (governments, UN agencies, NGOs Humanitarian INGOs Platform – at national level);
- Demonstrated working experience in policy analysis, writing and production of reports, policy briefs and publications;
- Proven track record of achieving international media coverage, both traditional and new media;
- Must be disciplined and able to work autonomously and arrive at decisions and conclusions with minimal guidance;
- Proficient in MS Office Applications including adobe photoshop preferably;
- Strong leadership skills, communication skills, capacity to manage tasks efficiently as well as ability to think critically.
- Must have strong drafting and verbal communications skills; research and analytical skills; ability to manage competing deadlines and priorities;
- Solid understanding of the political and humanitarian context of Nigeria, the Lack Chad Basin Crisis and the issues in the Sahel Region;
- Credibility to lobby, network, influence and represent ACF Nigeria at all levels;
Minimum Basic Salary & Other Benefits
- NGN 1,040,480 per month (excluding other benefits)
- Our employees enjoy a work culture that promotes diversity and inclusion
- Other benefits include but not limited to 100% health care coverage, paid leave per year, free and direct access to Cross Knowledge e-learning platform.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
- Our employees enjoy a work culture that promotes diversity and inclusion.
- Action Against Hunger provides Equal Employment Opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, colour, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability or genetics.
- Qualified women are strongly encourage to apply
Application Deadline 10th September, 2021.