Plan International is an independent development and humanitarian non-profit organisation that advances children’s rights and equality for girls. We support children’s rights from birth until they reach adulthood, and enable children to prepare for – and respond to – crises and adversity. We believe in the power and potential of every child, but know this is often suppressed by poverty, violence, exclusion and discrimination.
Working together with children, young people, supporters and partners, we strive for a just world, tackling the root causes of the challenges girls and vulnerable children face. We have been building powerful partnerships for children for over 80 years and are now active in more than 70 countries, driving changes in practice and policy at local, national and global levels using our reach, experience and knowledge. Plan International is registered in Nigeria with the Corporate Affairs Commission.
We are recruiting to fill the position of:
Job Title: Gender Equality and Inclusion Assistant
Location: Mubi, Adamawa
- Assist Gender Officers in Borno in ensuring project processes, activities and outputs are in line with the project Gender Equality and Inclusion Strategies and also contribute to Plan International Nigeria, Donor, National, State and local level commitments to Gender Equality and Inclusion.
- This position will also be responsible for supporting GE officers in capacity building of local partner and NCWS staff in the area of key gender equality and inclusion mainstreaming approaches and tools and management of the ‘Integrated Education for Adolescent Girls in Northern Nigeria’ project.
Dimensions of the Role
- Aid in the implementation, activities monitoring of the ‘Integrated Education for Adolescent Girls in Northern Nigeria’ project in line with donor expectations, as well as Plan International Global and National ambition on gender equality and inclusion and its Humanitarian Response Strategy.
- Work with community volunteers/mobilizers, NCWS and non-governmental partners on Gender Equality and inclusion issues including trafficking, early and forced marriage, early pregnancy and gender-based violence.
- Will assist the project gender equality officers integrating gender equality and inclusion in children’s education (especially adolescent girls) across project strategy and implementation processes in Asikira Uba.
- Act in other capacities as agreed with supervisors and the project Gender Equality and Inclusion Coordinators.
- Assist to provide life skills refresher training to girls and organize discussion sessions
- Assist GE officers to ensure adolescent girls and boys are trained in life skills, including conflict resolution, self-protection and communication skills
- Assist GE officers to ensure parents and caregivers are trained on positive parenting of adolescents, especially girls, including addressing gender barriers such as gender-based violence.
- Hold community dialogues with male and female traditional community and religious leaders on girls’ education
- Support LGA members and National Council of Women’s Societies to become mentors for out of school girls including young mothers
- Participates in meetings with male and female leaders and SBMC/CBCPC members to share updates, progress and challenges in supporting girls’ education and in referrals to appropriate services
- Work with the project team to establish a community-based monitoring and accountability system for girl’s enrolment and retention.
- Support to Provide referrals for CP support to CAFAAGs and UASC
- Hold awareness raising with schools and communities, particularly adolescents, on the child friendly feedback mechanism as well as Plan’s Safeguarding Policy
- Assist to organize and facilitate girl’s friendly discussion groups
- Train student representatives on children’s rights, including protection from SRGBV and girls’ rights to education, as well as facilitating use of school-based child-friendly feedback mechanisms
- Work with GE officers, NCWS/partner staff to establish girls’ clubs in schools and train facilitator/ mentors
- Support girls’ clubs’ activities such as safety mapping, awareness-raising, design and monitoring of complaints mechanism.
- Ensure Inclusion of gender transformative messaging in in-service teacher training on ALP; and ensure the participation of female teachers; Consider the ratios of female to male ALP teachers and make recommendations
- Support to conduct and facilitate girl friendly discussion, which will also be a space to provide them with activities that will enhance their ability to gain confidence and knowledge on how to care for themselves, and in some cases
- Consult with girls and boys to establish safe school-based and community-based feedback and complaints mechanisms
Information and Coordination:
- Liaise and provide project updates and reports on a frequent basis and whenever required and agreed as per the reporting timelines and the supervisor
- Represent Plan International Nigeria in coordination meetings (CPSS, GBVSS, etc at the state and field levels.
Technical Expertise, Skills and Knowledge
- A Bachelor’s Degree in Social Sciences / Art with background in Gender Studies, Advocacy and Influencing or an equivalent from a recognized University.
- Experience in working with M&E in conducting Gender Equality activities including some understanding of M and E processes.
- Knowledge and experience with community mentorship program and Gender Equality and Inclusion approaches.
- At least 3 years’ practical work experience in mainstreaming Gender Equality and Inclusion in projects especially Humanitarian programs.
- Proven understanding of Gender programming concepts, adolescent programming and community approaches to development.
- Ability to analyse large data sets through a gender equality lens.
- Communicates clearly and effectively appropriate to the audience
- Ability to work with multiple stakeholders and maintain strong relationships.
- Excellent report writing skills
- Strong negotiating, facilitating and influencing skills
- Commitment to continuous learning and innovation.
- Good computer literacy skills.
- Ability to travel in the deep field for at least 80% of the time
- Holds self and others to account to deliver on agreed goals and standards of behaviour
- Strategic thinking and effective contribution to own work and organisational development.
- Sound judgement and decision-making in complex situations
- Strong emotional intelligence including self-awareness.
- Very strong commitment to continuous learning.
- Knowledge of Hausa language.
- Experience working with children and adolescents
- Experience working with facilitators/mentors on life skills and mentorship and coaching programmes for children and adolescents especially girls
- Ability to work in a complex environment with multiple tasks, short deadlines and intense pressure to perform.
- Proficiency in word processing, Microsoft office, Microsoft teams and zoom
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
- Plan International Nigeria is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, gender or disabilities.
- Plan International Nigeria is fully committed to child protection to prevent children from all forms of abuse. Women are strongly encouraged to apply. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted
Application Deadline 23rd August, 2021.