Malteser International (MI) is the international humanitarian relief agency of the Sovereign Order of Malta. For over 60 years we provide relief and recovery for people during and following conflicts and disasters around the world. Christian values and humanitarian principles form the foundations of our work. In over 30 countries in Africa, the Americas, Asia and the Middle East, we support people in need – regardless of their religion, origin or political convictions. Malteser International has been working in Nigeria since 2017. In Northeast Nigeria and more specifically in Borno State, MI is currently active in the WASH sector for improving the lives of both the IDP population as well as the host communities. The WASH activities focus on improved access to safe water, sanitation, and hygiene. They include NFI distribution, solarization of boreholes, rehabilitation of hand pumps, construction of latrines and hygiene promotion. Malteser International thereby applies a participatory, gender sensitive and inclusive approach.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Gender-Based Violence (GBV) Case Worker
Location: Konduga Local Government, Borno
Employment Type: Full-time
Start Date: As soon as possible
- The Case Worker oversees and coordinates all GBV activities in women and girls safe space (WGSS), assessing women and girls’ immediate needs, developing immediate care and treatment goals, implementing and monitoring women and girls ’care action plans.
Main Responsibilities / Tasks
- Provide support in the coordination and supervision of all the activities in Women and Girls Safe Spaces (WGSS)
- Maintain daily contact with the community based social workers/monitoring Officers to gather information on cases requiring support.
- Provide appropriate and timely case management by creating a climate of trust and care, conduct introduction and first intake assessment, case action planning and implementing the action plan steps, case follow up and case closure as per agreed standards
- Provide basic emotional support (based on the IASC MHPSS guidelines pyramid) for each case and for their close family members, as required
- Conduct individual assessments for the provision of material assistance, NFI and dignity kit or/and transportation costs for medical treatment, as required
- Refer clients to appropriate services and when necessary directly accompany them to different service providers
- Provide support to ensure accuracy of case documentations through proper filing and archiving of case management files to maintain data confidentiality
- Support the Protection Officer to prepare monthly report on activities and conduct site visits to verify and assess activity implementation and the quality of services clients are referred to identify and report gaps in the availability of services and quality of service provision for clients in the target areas
- Identify training needs of Protection Volunteers and community key gatekeepers and build their capacity
- Conduct duties in strict accordance with Malteser International code of conduct and protection Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs)
- Lead weekly internal case management meetings and make prompt reports/bring to the immediate attention any case of special/emergency needs to the Protection Officer
- Contribute to the service mapping assessment in the target areas and support the development of referral systems with different service providers
- Develop good relationships and coordination with service providers and community stakeholders to improve identification and provide adequate referral information
- Plan and conduct service awareness sessions with the Protection Officer and local NGO/CSO partner, where applicable
- Carry out any other duties as may be assigned by the Protection Officer
- Participate in office work with colleagues as a good team player
- Be an active role model for the population, by adhering to a healthy personal behavior and life-style
- Maintain a non-judgmental and supportive attitude towards colleagues and beneficiaries regardless of their background, political affiliation or religion.
- Take responsibility in representing Malteser International towards the local population, authorities and other (I)NGOs
- Adhere and respect Malteser International guidelines and codes
- Carry out additional tasks as reasonably requested by the supervisor
- Degree or equivalent in Health, Public Health, Social Science or Social Work
- Ability to multitask with minimum supervision.
- High sense of Initiative, analytical and independent decision making.
- Ability to read and write in English as well as (local language) is essential Conditions
- Minimum of 2 years solid experience in GBV Case management & Psychosocial Support
- Sound knowledge and Mastery of GBV Principle, case management steps and its application with reference to survivor centred approach
- Sound knowledge of PSEA and GBV SOPs
- According to qualification and experience, insurance package
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
- Kindly submit your application (CV, cover letter, copies of certificates and three professional references)
- Malteser International is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes applications from all people, regardless of race, color, ethnicity, age, gender, disability, confession, or origin
Application Deadline 21st October, 2021.