Nigeria – together with our local partners Team Offshore Nigeria Limited, Topaz has been building its presence in Nigeria, where a large part of our West African fleet operates from a base in Onne. Our global experience and systems, combined with local knowledge and expertise are proving integral in supporting national players and major IOCs in developing the country’s natural resources.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Fleet Superintendent
Direct Reporting Line: Country Manager
- To ensure that all assigned vessels are operated in a safe, efficient and economical manner and in full compliance with Class and Statutory regulations, as well as Company and Client requirements.
Qualifications, Experience & Skills
- Certificate of Competency, Class 1 Deck or Engine
- 1-2 years’ sailing experience as a vessel Chief Engineer or Master
- 3-4 years’ shore based experience as Marine or Technical Superintendent
Job Specific Skills:
- Tangible, measurable results must be obtained despite opposition or resistance to their accomplishment. There is pressure to meet deadlines in an environment laced with a wide variety of problems and unexpected interruptions.
- This function requires a person who is driven, assertion, the ability to communicate with others and a perfectionist approach to situations.
- The incumbent should have a need to achieve results through standard operating procedures and a systematic approach.
- The job involves researching facts, figures and new ideas, as well as maintaining standards and quality. The environment is likely to offer variety within changing situations so the person fulfilling the role should have the ability to adjust to change whilst at the same time work within set guidelines.
- The person should be self-starting, competitive, imaginative, enthusiastic, self- confident, inspiring, logical, systematic and precise.
- Safety is integral part of this job, including the correct use of the Control of Work requirements.
- In compliance with the Company Policies, the Fleet Superintendent must intervene and STOP any unsafe act/condition and report to his superiors if the workplace environment does not allow him to intervene.
- It is his duty to report any safety concerns and to recognise on the contrary, positive safety behavior..
- Liaise with the Operations Department and respective team members regarding Certification, Safety Equipment and Loose Lifting Gear etc
- Ensure that all mandatory procedures including Safe Systems of Work are used effectively and filed for audit purposes
- Prepare vessel repair specifications in association with the Team members
- Ensure that vessels carry the required publications, procedures, operational manuals, and other documentation required by Flag State and other regulatory bodies, and that these are updated as required
- Ensure IMCA guidelines and “best industry practices” are adhered to at all times, with regard to vessel DP operations, equipment and personnel requirements.
- Ensure that the fleets’ DP equipment/ Navigational Equipment is in a fully operational state of readiness at all times.
- Ensure all clients requirements are assessed and responded to in a timely manner.
- Undertaking visits offshore to vessels on location as required by the Country / Operations Manager.
- Ensuring that end of month vessel paperwork is reviewed and outstanding issues acted upon
- Ensure that all vessels are operating with the confines of their Budgets, and bring to the attention of senior management any anomalies, or potential deviations in a timely manner
- Responsible for the overall management and performance of the employees and crew assigned to the team and fleet, in accordance with the Company’s EVP and HR & Crewing Procedures
- Management of OVID program for the fleet assigned. All OVPQ are up to date, finding closeouts to be obtained, vetted, inserted and published within given time frame
- Management of Annual DP program. Ensure all vessels within fleet have a valid DP trial, all findings are closed out within timeframe.
- Assist in the tending process to ensure the assigned vessel is fit for the scope of work required and relay any gap analysis identified or potential costs and delays to the chartering department.
Technical & PMS:
- Ensure that Vessels Planned Maintenance System is being operated and reported in the manner prescribed in the company’s QA system and is in compliance with the ISM Code and MLC 2006
- Ensure all assigned vessels are well maintained and in a continued excellent technical condition as per the Company’s requirements
- Ensure that all equipment is maintained in good working order and that the planned maintenance system is relevant and up to date on all assigned vessels, to avoid unplanned down-time.
People Management & Crewing:
- Responsible for the overall management and performance of the employees and crew assigned to the fleet, in accordance with the Company’s EVP and HR & Crewing Procedures
- Ensure that the assigned vessels are manned in compliance with, flag and industry legislation, and Company policies
- Monitor manning levels on all vessels to ensure appropriate manpower is allocated for each project, and ensure that costs are properly controlled
- Ensure that manning and training requirements are clearly communicated in sufficient time ahead of each charter
- Ensure that all Sea Staff recruited are suitably qualified and experienced for the position that they hold
- Ensure that crew performance is managed effectively on board by respective line managers, with regular performance appraisals being conducted and any performance issues being appropriately addressed
- Foster a strong performance culture on board, working pro-actively to identify crew competence gaps and develop suitable training and development solutions
- Ensure that all sea staffs are relieved on time every time and that suitable time is given for handover in sensitive positions.
- Ensure timely delivery of Material to achieve safe and uninterrupted operation of assigned vessels
- Ensure sufficient spares are carried
- Ensure timely delivery of supplies and that purchase requisitions are being tracked and expedited in a timely manner. Bringing to the attention of the Country/Operations Manager any items which have the potential to disrupt operations
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online