The Deutsche Gesellschaft fur Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH (German Agency for International Cooperation) is an international enterprise owned by the German Federal government, operating in many fields across more than 130 countries.
In Nigeria, GIZ’s portfolio includes among others, a programme to support the Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS) in its regional integration goals. The programme aims to strengthen sector-specific capacities in the areas of Peace and Security, Customs and Trade as weir as Strategic Management and Organizational Development in
the ECOWAS Commission.
We are recruiting to fill the position of:
Job Title: Embedded Technical Expert – Electoral Affairs
VA No: 056
Contract Duration: 16 August 2021 – 31 January 2023 with potential for renewal subject to extension of the Project by the commissioning parties.
- The Embedded Technical Expert – Electoral Affairs will be located within the Election Assistance Division (EAD) of the ECOWAS Political Affairs Peace and Security (PAPS) Department and will support the overall conceptualization, planning and implementation of technical measures related to regional electoral assistance processes.
In supporting the Head of the ECOWAS EAD, the Embedded Technical Expert will undertake the following roles and functions:
- Provide strategic and technical guidance and policy advice to the partner organisation for the enhancement of electoral assistance processes and in line with international best practices and standards
- Support relevant areas of work of the EAD towards improvement in the organisation and conduct of election observation missions of the Commission
- Support the EAD in the design of conceptual/policy frameworks and other guidelines for electoral assistance and observation
- Provide support for the development of/ adjustments to operational plans and budgets and ensure inline implementation
- Provide administrative and logistical support for activity implementation including for mission deployments
- Facilitate and support a good flow of communication between the EAD and the EPSAO Project Team and ensure regular consultation and exchange with the GIZ Electoral Affairs Component Head
- Ensure consistent implementation of GIZ and EU guidelines
- Provide context analyses and technical briefs in support of Core Team deployments
- Research, develop and present analytical reports, research papers, briefing notes, background papers, correspondence, and knowledge products as required
- Support evaluation processes as well as internal/external reporting processes of the EAD and provide quality assurance
- Interface and liaison with key strategic partners and stakeholders of the EAD, including the ECOWAS Network of Electoral Commissions (ECONEC)
- Support knowledge building and lessons learned processes with respect to regional electoral assistance processes
- Perform other project-related duties and functions as may be directed.
- Contract duration.
Required Competencies / Qualifications
- Master’s Degree in International Relations, Law, Political Science, Social Science or other related fields of study.
- At least seven years experience working in the areas of peacebuilding, democracy and governance, conflict prevention or other related fields.
- Experience working on electoral assistance processes will be a strong added advantage.
- A good understanding of the African Peace and security landscape and especially the ECOWAS region – with an established network.
- Experience working for an international organisation will be highly desirable as will experience working or engaging with national actors (including governments, civil society and others).
Other Knowledge, Additional Competences:
- Experience in conflict resolution management
- Experience with electoral observation processes (including field experiences) will be a strong asset as will familiarity with ECOWAS electoral assistance work.
- Impeccable writing, reporting and presentation skills
- Strong organisational and project management skills
- Spoken and written language skills in English is required for this position. Working knowledge of the French language will be an added advantage.
- Knowledge of the ECOWAS region and established contacts with relevant actors is regarded as an asset.
- BRIDGE facilitator accreditation will be an advantage
- Ability to work in a dynamic, multidisciplinary and highly political context
- Excellent diplomacy and persuasion skills with a high sense of integrity and transparency
- Good knowledge and understanding of results-based planning, monitoring and reporting
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should send their CV and one page Cover Letter as one document with complete contact details to: [email protected] using “Vacancy no. 056” as the subject of the email.
Note: Only applications sent to this email will be consider (do not send your application via Linkedin)
Application Deadline 14th July, 2021.