Save the Children is the leading independent organization for children in need, with programs in over 120 countries. We save children’s lives. We fight for their rights. We help them fulfil their potential. Save the Children is working in Nigeria because one in five children in Nigeria dies before their fifth birthday. About 40% of children miss out on school and have to work to survive while nearly 2 million children have lost one or both parents to an AIDS-related disease.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Education Officer
Ref No: 220008TV
Team / Programme: Programme Operations
Employee Status: Permanent
Post Type: National
Reports to: Programme Manager
Staff directly reporting to this post: None
- Level 3- The responsibilities of this post may require the post holder to have regular contact with children and young people. In the overseas context all posts are considered to be level 3.
- As part of these responsibilities the post holder will support the establishment of child safeguarding systems, promote a culture of keeping children safe, and ensure that potential harm to children (by our own staff and/or as a result of how we do our work) is identified and addressed on an ongoing basis. The post holder should report and respond to interventions as determined by position related responsibilities identified in the Child Safeguarding Policy.
- Support to the implementation and monitoring of education related activities in the Integrated Health and Nutrition Project in the State. For purposes of ensuring healthy collaboration between the sector’s work and other projects or initiatives in the Northwestern region, the Officer will actively participate in education-related activities and meetings, and will also seek active collaboration with other players working in the education sector
Scope of Role
- Reports to: Programme Manager
- Staff directly reporting to this post: None
Key Areas of Accountability
- With the support and guidance of Programme Manager and Education Advisor, lead the implementation of Save the Children’s education project activities within the implementing LGAs in Katsina and host communities through provision of Education in development and ECD services to the children.
- Establish functional Learning Spaces and Community Education Committee in project locations
- Set up of adolescent literacy and numeracy clubs.
- Ensure quality in the programme by building capacity of the local staff and teachers through trainings in pedagogy, psychosocial support, life skills etc.
- Provide guidance to field-based education team on common standards, innovative strategies and approaches which ensure a capacity to address Save the Children Commitments for Children in development, and reflect good practice in developmental education responses
- Development of literacy and numeracy learning curriculum with girl’s empowerment focus.
- Mapping numbers & ages of children & organising appropriate playgroups.
- Manage the distribution of age and gender appropriate play materials.
- Identify critical program gaps and vulnerabilities, and clarify roles, responsibilities, and accountabilities to effectively address those gaps
- Recruitment and training of childcare facilitators
- Support development of training plans for teachers and other community partners based on identified needs.
Documentation and Reporting:
- Responsible for developing timely and quality LGA level reports on activities, project results, case studies and lessons learned for Education interventions within the project.
- Support the MEAL team to ensure that data are captured in a correct and accurate manner.
- To prepare implementation reports, weekly, monthly or other periodical reports for SCI and funding partners.
- To report on progress and documentation of best practices.
- Support in development of communication materials, case studies and blogs.
Representation & Advocacy & Organisational Learning:
- With guidance from the Programme Manager (PM), assist in establishing and sustaining positive relationships with religious and traditional leaders at the community and LGA levels
- Represent SCI and/or the project in relevant meetings.
- Contribute to communications and media work as required.
- Working closely with the PM and Education Advisor, develop partnerships to leverage resources, ensure adequate coverage in the response and ensure adequate funding consistent with SC resource mobilisation strategy and response plans
- Advocate for, and support, the development of sustainable, child-friendly and hazard-resistant standards and designs for learning centres, the integration of life skills into both formal and non-formal education, with a particular focus on Disaster Risk Reduction(DRR)
- Represent SCI programme in the coordination at state levels; represent SC at the State Education Sector Working Group meetings, working closely with UNICEF, SEMA, UNOCHA among others, to address issues related to strategic planning, roles and responsibilities of sector partners, and joint advocacy
- Comply with Save the Children policies and practice with respect to child protection, code of conduct, health and safety, equal opportunities and other relevant policies and procedures.
- Prepare performance objectives together with program staffs and give the necessary feedback, follow up and support to improve staff performance
Qualifications & Experience
- B.Sc / BA / HND in Education, Social Sciences, or equivalent field experience
- At least 3 years progressive experience in Education in Development or Emergencies, programme design, administration, monitoring and evaluation or related field.
- Willingness to work flexibly and professionally in a dynamic and fast-moving environment Good understanding of Katsina state community settings, local culture and sensitivity is an added advantage.
- Experience on working in collaboration with Government counterpart at LGA level
- Some experience of representation and ability to represent SC effectively in external forums
- A high level of written and spoken English and fluency in local language
- Previous experience in working with capacity building/training facilitation is desirable.
- Excellent computing and data management skills.
- Ability to adapt and work effectively in remote areas, work in a challenging work environment with minimal direct supervision.
- Ability to take personal responsibility for completing tasks to a high standard and to meet deadlines.
- Politically and culturally sensitive with qualities of patience, tactics and diplomacy.
- Master trainer and good facilitator.
Skills and Behaviours (our Values in Practice)
- accuracy and timeliness in all areas of responsibility
- high level of accuracy in work, and ability to analyse complex sets of relationships and situations
- holds self and others accountable
- creating best-in-class EA function
- future-orientated, thinks pro-actively
- working effectively with stakeholders to achieve common goals
- excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- builds and maintains effective relationships, with their team, colleagues, members and external partners
- approachable, good listener, easy to talk to
- designing more effective admin and value for money systems
- willing to take disciplined risks
- honest, encourages openness and transparency, demonstrates highest levels of integrity.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
Application Deadline 21st December, 2022.