The International Rescue Committee (IRC) responds to the world’s worst humanitarian crises and helps people to survive and rebuild their lives. Founded in 1933 at the request of Albert Einstein, the IRC offers lifesaving care and life-changing assistance to refugees forced to flee from war or disaster. At work today in over 40 countries and 22 U.S. cities, we restore safety, dignity and hope to millions who are uprooted and struggling to endure. The IRC leads the way from harm to home.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Economic Recovery and Development (ERD) Officer
Location: Mubi, Adamawa
Sector: Economic Recovery & Livelihood
Employment Category: Regular
Employment Type: Full-Time
Open to Expatriates: No
Position Reports to: ERD Program Manager
Position directly supervises: Livelihood Assistants, Casual / incentive workers, local vendors and financial service providers
Job Overview / Summary
- The ERD Officer will support the technical implementation of a project focused on Climate Risk Mitigation for small holder farmers, within IRC operational areas in Adamawa, Nigeria. He/She will support activities to increase access to climate risk information, risk reduction and mitigation training, skills and knowledge, and cash based assistance to support improved resiliency to climate change stresses and shocks. The ERD officer will oversee cash transfer payments to smallholder farmers within a specified time frame to help reduce vulnerability to climate shocks.
Cash Transfer Programming:
- Organize and supervise the distribution of cash to the targeted smallholder farmers.
- Responsible for the selection and verification of smallholder farmer in coordination with community committee and authorities and the use of selection criteria
- Coordinate with cash transfer agents on the schedule of distributions to make sure they are ready with cash to smoothly distribute cash to beneficiaries.
- Organize cash distributions considering safety and dignity of beneficiaries
- Conduct field visits to project sites and meet with community leaders to select specific vulnerable locations for targeting and ensure a conducive community mobilization system
- Actively engage and support in community sensitization activities on selection criteria, cash redemption process and feedback mechanism.
- Develop distribution plans for Cash and share for final approval.
- Maintain clear communication with cash transfer agents and beneficiaries in accordance with IRC policies and procedures.
- Carry out the staff appraisal for the ERD Assistant.
- Risk reduction activities.
- Provide Within the context of a longer-term strategy to support livelihoods and vulnerability reduction for agricultural communities, support the facilitation of Climate Risk Mitigation inception assessments focused on household and community level climate risks and mitigation practices, stakeholder mapping, and climate risk information systems in collaboration with the ERD Manager, M&E team and IRC HQ Technical staff.
- Participate in the identification of technical information and materials that will ensure effective implementation of climate close supervision and monitoring to the implementation of the Climate Risk Management project related activities in the field
- Coordinate with other partners and relevant project stakeholders in the implementation area for project success.
Monitoring, Evaluation, Reporting and Research:
- Conduct post distribution monitoring
- Support in conducting market assessments or cash feasibility assessment in the targeted communities
- Under the supervision of Program Manager & Research Coordinator conduct Climate Risk Management project research and assessments
Key Working Relationships:
- Position Reports to: ERD Program Manager
- Position directly supervises: Livelihood Assistants, Casual/incentive workers, local vendors and financial service providers
- Other Internal and/or external contacts: Project research partners and institutions
- A Bachelor’s Degree in Agriculture / Agricultural Economics, Disaster and Risk Management, Development Studies, Climate Studies / Natural Resource Management, Food Security studies, Livelihood studies, Rural Development or related discipline or related field.
- Minimum of 3 years relevant work experience in the relevant field
Demonstrated Skills and Competencies:
- Proven practical experience in cash and rural livelihoods programming. Past-experience in working on early recovery projects as an FSL/ERD Officer is also an advantage.
- Coordination experience with different partners and stakeholders.
- Good written and spoken English. Ability to communicate in local languages (Hausa and indigenous Languages in Adamawa will be an added advantage).
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
- The IRC and IRC workers must adhere to the values and principles outlined in IRC Way – Standards for Professional Conduct.
- These are Integrity, Service, and Accountability.
- In accordance with these values, the IRC operates and enforces policies on Beneficiary Protection from Exploitation and Abuse, Child Safeguarding, Anti Workplace Harassment, Fiscal Integrity, and Anti-Retaliation