Mercy Corps is a leading global organization powered by the belief that a better world is possible. In disaster, in hardship, in more than 40 countries around the world, we partner to put bold solutions into action – helping people triumph over adversity and build stronger communities from within. Now, and for the future.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Driver
Location: Damaturu, Yobe
Employment Type: Full-time Regular Employee
Reports Directly To: Operations Officer
Works Directly With: All Staff
Program / Department Summary
- Mercy Corps has been present in Nigeria since 2012, focusing its interventions on humanitarian assistance, economic development, and conflict mitigation. With the ongoing insurgency in Northeast Nigeria causing the displacement of millions of individuals, Mercy Corps started its humanitarian response in 2014 to address the rising humanitarian needs.
- As the crisis has persisted, Mercy Corps’ strategy has also expanded to address the root causes of the conflict and seek to build the long term resilience of communities with integrated programs focusing on governance, the recovery of markets and livelihoods, social cohesion and social protection, youth empowerment, and local conflict management.
General Position Summary
- The driver will provide safe, transport services for MC program and support staff in the described AOR (Area of Responsibility). The driver will adhere to all traffic and MC safety rules and follow the transport guidelines required by the MC transport department.
Essential Job Functions
- Operate MC vehicles as assigned by supervisor;
- Maintain vehicle log-sheets in accordance with MC policies/regulations;
- Check the vehicle conditions after each trip/routinely – report needs and problems to transport management;
- Adhere to all safety and communication protocols as advised by Mercy Corps and supervisor;
- Report all maintenance needs of the vehicle to transport management on a regular basis;
- Undertake field assignments as assigned;
- Work night shifts at MC guesthouses – as assigned by Supervisor with the understanding these are 12-hour shifts;
- Adherence to all MC policies and procedures as outlined in MC policies and procedure manuals;
- Conduct himself/herself both professionally and personally in such a manner as to bring credit to Mercy Corps and to not jeopardize its humanitarian mission in the country of operation;
- Responsible for the safekeeping of all vehicle equipment, tools, first aid kits, spares etc.;
- Keep the vehicle ready, clean and on standby – ready for use at all times;
- Assist, as required, with logistics in the office and guesthouse daily workloads;
- Cooperate and be of assistance to staff and visitors – assist in troubleshooting potential problems during daily business;
- Other duties as assigned.
- As part of our commitment to organizational learning and in support of our understanding that learning organizations are more effective, efficient and relevant to the communities they serve, we expect all team members to commit 5% of their time to learning activities that benefit Mercy Corps as well as themselves.
- Accountable for following Mercy Corps Manual, guidelines, policies and procedures; the Mercy Corps Code of conduct regarding procurement activities and MC Conflict of Interest policy.
Knowledge and Experience
- Candidates should possess a Bachelor’s Degree, SSCE / GCE / NECO with 4 – 10 of experience.
- Valid driver’s license and experience driving 4×4 vehicles.
- A basic understanding of English and fluency in all local languages is required.
- Knowledge of routes, duty stations, project areas, the NGO and diplomatic community is required.
- Must respect and adhere to all safety and traffic rules.
- The successful candidate will be capable of rapid decision-making, have initiative, drive and a lot of energy, as well as high emotional intelligence.
- S/he will be committed to long-term program sustainability and the delivery of high-impact activities at the community level. Successful Mercy Corps team members have a strong commitment to teamwork and accountability, thrive in evolving and challenging environments, and make effective written and verbal communication a priority.
- Mercy Corps team members represent the agency both during and outside work hours. Team members are expected to conduct themselves in a professional manner and respect local laws, customs and Mercy Corps’ policies, procedures, and values at all times and in all in-country venues.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
- Mercy Corps is an equal opportunity employer that does not tolerate discrimination on any basis. We actively seek out diverse backgrounds, perspectives, and skills so that we can be collectively stronger and have a sustained global impact.
- We are committed to providing an environment of respect and psychological safety where equal employment opportunities are available to all. We do not engage in or tolerate discrimination on the basis of race, colour, gender identity, gender expression, religion, age, sexual orientation, national or ethnic origin, disability, marital status, military veteran status or any other protected group in the locations where we work.
- In your statement, you are encouraged to discuss any relevant experience and demonstrate your interest. Your application will be reviewed by the Mercy Corps team and shortlisted candidates will be contacted directly for interviews.
- Mercy Corps team membersrepresent the agency both during and outside of work hours and are expected to conduct themselves in a professional manner and respect local laws, customs and Mercy Corps policies, procedures, and values at all times and in all in-country venues.
- Female candidates who are qualified are strongly encouraged to apply
Application Deadline 27th August, 2021.