The Wildlife Conservation Society is an international NGO headquartered at Bronx Zoo in New York City working to save wildlife and wild lands and to meet global challenges in over 50 countries in Africa, Asia, the Americas and the world’s oceans. The Africa Program is the largest of WCS’s field programs, with approximately 1,100 staff in 12 country programs focused across four major regions (Central Africa, Sudano-Sahel, East and Southern Africa, and Madagascar and Western Indian Ocean).
Our Mission is to save wildlife and wild places worldwide through science, conservation action, education and inspiring people to value nature. Our VISION is a world where wildlife thrives in healthy lands and seas valued by societies that embrace and benefit from the diversity and integrity of life on earth. Our GOAL is to conserve the world’s largest wild places in 16 priority regions, home to more than 50% of the world’s biodiversity. Our VALUES are Respect, Accountability and Transparency, Innovation, Diversity and Inclusion, Collaboration, Integrity.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Conservation Education Officer
Location: Yankari Game Reserve, Bauchi
Employment Type: Full-time
Reports To: Yankari Landscape Director
Start date: 1 August 2022
Duration: Five years
- The Wildlife Conservation Society (WCS) is a US non-profit, tax-exempt, private organization established in 1895 that saves wildlife and wild places by understanding critical issues, crafting science-based solutions, and taking conservation actions that benefit nature and humanity.
- With more than a century of experience, long-term commitments in dozens of landscapes, presence in more than 60 nations, and experience helping to establish over 150 protected areas across the globe, WCS has amassed the biological knowledge, cultural understanding and partnerships to ensure that vibrant, wild places and wildlife thrive alongside local communities.
- Working with local communities and organizations, that knowledge is applied to address species, habitat and ecosystem management issues critical to improving the quality of life of poor rural people whose livelihoods depend on the direct utilization of natural resources.
- Develop a conservation education outreach strategy for WCS in Yankari.
- Establish and support school conservation clubs in all support zone villages surrounding Yankari Game Reserve.
- Organise an annual World Environment Day event in collaboration with local partners, rangers, and communities.
- Organise regular community meetings to address local environmental issues and seek local solutions.
- Develop an outreach programme in local communities based on regular film shows.
- Develop and implement a monitoring programme to evaluate impacts of the education programme.
- Assist with the development and production of education materials.
- Support the work of the WCS radio programme in Bauchi State.
- Work with school conservation clubs to promote awareness of conservation through field trips, exchange visits, discussion groups, art competitions, essay writing, quizzes, and debates etc.
- Work with school conservation clubs to encourage active participation in conservation such as the establishment of tree nurseries and the planting of trees etc.
- Relevant University Degree preferably in education or natural resource management.
- At least 2 years’ relevant experience in education or natural resource management.
- Proven ability to manage large and varied workloads, and deal constructively with diverse people.
- Proven ability to prioritize tasks, meet deadlines and work with limited supervision.
- Pro-active, stable and robust character and a good team-player
- Full professional proficiency in English and Hausa.
- Ability to develop clear goals and identify priority activities and assignments
- Demonstrated experience in education and community outreach.
- Strong communication and inter-personal skills, demonstrated ability to work in a multi-disciplinary and multi-cultural team.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates, who meet the above qualifications, skills, and experience, should send their detailed Application / Cover Letter and CV together with the names and contact information of three (3) references to: [email protected] using “Yankari Conservation Education Officer” as the subject of the mail.
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for interview.
- WCS is an equal opportunity employer dedicated to hiring and supporting a diverse workforce.
- We are committed to cultivating an inclusive work environment and look for future team members who share that same value
Application Deadline 1st July, 2022.