WaterAid is an international non-for-profit organization dedicated to helping people break free from poverty and disease, unlock their potential and change their lives for good through improved access to clean water, decent toilets and good hygiene. WaterAid started its operation in Nigeria in 1995. Since then it has successfully executed several intervention programmes as outlined by its objectives and has made impact in the lives of the very poor. WaterAid with the country office in Abuja currently works in Bauchi, Enugu and Plateau States with funding from various donors and partners.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Communications and Media Manager – Nigeria
Job Type: Contract
Contract type: 2 years (Renewable)
- WaterAid Nigeria has recently completed its 2022-2027 country programme strategy which sets a 5-year building block towards delivering a more influencing led programme over a 10-year horizon.
- This new country strategy rather than reflect a progression from previous country programme strategies, outlines key shifts in focus required to catalyze change and achieve maximum impact for our work in Nigeria.
- The Communications Team are custodians of WaterAid Nigeria’s communications strategy, and responsible for planning and delivery of all communications related activities in support of the CP’s various programmes.
- The team encompasses communications, campaigns, advocacy, and branding.
- WaterAid Nigeria’s ability to communicate strategically to various audiences to raise her visibility and share her successes is pivotal to the success of the Country Programme strategy.
- This role will be responsible for supporting the conceptualisation, planning and implementation of WaterAid Nigeria’s communications strategy and activities to share information and remain engaged with a wide range of local, national and global stakeholders around key themes using a wide range of channels.
- This role will build required synergy and collaborations to effectively deploy communications and campaigns to achieve broader modelling and communication of service delivery innovations, advocacy and fundraising goals for WaterAid Nigeria.
- The remit of this role also includes delivering a programme of social media activities, maintaining various social media accounts, and championing their use across WaterAid Nigeria and working effectively with the media to promote and project WaterAid’s visibility, profile, reputation, and perspectives on WASH/development discourse in the media.
Communications & Media:
- Work with colleagues throughout the organisation to plan, write, and support the delivery of a wide range of news, information, features, emails, and multimedia coverage of WaterAid Nigeria’s work for internal and external use.
- Take responsibility for the development of Communications Plans and production of learning materials for respective projects and interventions of the CP.
- Take responsibility for maintaining constant visibility and media presence for WaterAid Nigeria programmes and activities
- Generating ideas and developing appropriate content for various communications and media channels for achieving this.
- Support media work around WaterAid Nigeria’s service delivery and advocacy work, campaigns, fundraising initiatives, and key organisational moments
- Manage the Country Programme website and the design and layout of Nigeria’s profile on the WaterAid intranet website
- Produce newsletters by liaising with staff to generate relevant content suitable for distribution, managing the distribution list, and ensuring that the newsletter is sent out on time and with accuracy
- Support the production of internal publications and documents by writing and editing copy, liaising with external designers, ensuring the publication is branded according to our WaterAid guidelines, and distributing and communicating this as required
- Provide communications and media support for effective implementation of projects and interventions in CP focal and project states.
- Monitor and evaluate communications and media coverage and make recommendations on future activity
- Work with communication & media colleagues globally to develop and execute work including the provision of communication and media materials
- Build and maintain excellent relationships with relevant journalists, broadcasters and commentators in the local, national and international media and widen interest in WaterAid’s work
- Produce statements and responses to breaking news for internal and external use
- Write copy as required for print and web outlets, in-house use or use by third parties on behalf of WaterAid
- Work with individuals and departments throughout the organisation to design and deliver internal communication campaigns to engage staff in external initiatives and key organisational moments by coming up with creative concepts and developing strategies, identifying relevant tools and channels, executing the campaign, and promoting it
- Work with the Head of Advocacy, Policy and Communications to develop and implement a plan for WaterAid Nigeria’s social media activity
- Put in place metrics and measurement tools to analyse the impact of social media and digital content activities.
- Produce regular reports on this activity
- Keep up to date on digital trends and competitor activity, identifying the implications for WA communications activities
- Explore new opportunities and lead on the implementation of new or experimental ideas and approaches to social media and digital content, as agreed with the Head of Advocacy, Policy and Communications.
- Ensure that evaluation is robust and used to inform future approaches
- Undertake digital editorial/production activities as directed by the Head of Advocacy, Policy and Communications.
- Ensure WaterAid in Nigeria’s website is easily accessible and contains up-to-date and relevant information about its contributions and services to the sector and beneficiaries.
- Maintain and update accounts across all major social media platforms day to day (Twitter, Facebook, YouTube, Google+, Pinterest), to enhance brand awareness and develop deeper engagement with existing and potential Supporters
- Respond quickly and decisively to counter any inaccurate or potentially damaging comments on social media
- Perform line management and supervisory functions to the Communications Officer and Communications Assistant.
- Develop team members to maximize their contribution to the team and organization.
- Manage the performance and development of staff to create and maintain an effective, motivated and high performing team.
- Support the process of recruitment of competent staff.
- Undertake other responsibilities, tasks or activities assigned by the Head of Advocacy, Policy and Communications.
- Degree in relevant discipline, preferably a Master’s Degree or higher in communications
- Five years’ experience working in a communications and media role, including the production of a variety of content and materials, for different media and in the development sector
- Working Experience in Strategic and Crisis Communications
- Experience of representing an organisation to the public or/and media
- Proven ability to think creatively and so generate a wide range of communications materials & media coverage
- Knowledge of a range of measuring and analytics tools, and the ability to apply metrics to media & social media activity
- Ability to forge effective collaborative working relationships within the team and with colleagues from across the organisation
- Excellent organisation and time management skills. Able to prioritise workload and work under pressure
- Good IT skills in Microsoft Word, Excel and Outlook
- Commitment to WaterAid’s values and a working style that reflects these
- Knowledge and understanding of development issues, and WASH issues in particular
- Experience in project management with a proven track record of delivering on objectives
- Knowledge of the environment in which non-governmental organisations operate
- Excellent written and editorial skills, with the ability to write tailored, effective content for specific audiences
- Accuracy and keen attention to detail, in order to produce high quality communications
- Understanding of how media & social media can be used as an influencing tool – whether to encourage fundraising and engagement or influence decision makers.
- Experience of liaising with journalists and working with media houses
- Knowledge and experience of using Adobe InDesign and Photoshop, or other design software used to produce and layout publications and other communication materials
- A communications or media related degree
- Previous experience of working for an NGO
- An interest in international development and understanding of national, regional and international WASH platforms and stakeholders.
- Experience of managing content on an intranet.
- Experience of working in a communication and/or media role for an international organisation
- Experience of helping to influence decision makers through media work
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
Application Deadline 19th December, 2022.
- To apply for this role you must be able to demonstrate your eligibility to work in Nigeria.
- WaterAid is an equal opportunities employer and positively encourages applications from suitably qualified and eligible candidates regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, religion or belief, marital status, or pregnancy and maternity. We particularly encourage applications from women who are underrepresented at this level in the organisation.
- WaterAid is committed to ensuring that wherever we work in the world there is no tolerance for the abuse of power, privilege or trust. WaterAid reinforces a culture of zero tolerance towards any form of inappropriate behaviour, abuse, harassment, or exploitation of any kind.
- The safeguarding of our beneficiaries, staff, volunteers and anyone working on our behalf, is our top priority, and we take our responsibilities extremely seriously. All staff and volunteers are required to share in this commitment through our Global Code of Conduct.
- Only candidates shortlisted for interviewing will be contacted within two weeks of the closing date for applications