The Institute of Human Virology (IHVN) is a leading and reputable non-governmental organization addressing infectious and non-infectious diseases such as HIV, tuberculosis (TB) and cancer through the provision of prevention, diagnosis, treatment, research, capacity building, and care and support services.
Strengthening Global Health Security Agenda in Nigeria (SECURE-Nigeria), a project with funding support from US-CDC, will support systematic implementation of both broad-based and disease specific Infection Prevention Control (IPC) intervention critical to prevent transmission of emerging infectious diseases, including respiratory pathogens such as COVID-19 and tuberculosis.
SECURE-Nigeria will build upon existing IPC activities and capacities to enhance health system preparedness through strengthening IPC interventions and programs by leveraging on PEPFAR supported facilities. This project will enhance health system preparedness for future pandemics by building sustainable, broad-based IPC capacity, using PEPFAR supported facilities as a model organizations.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Bioinformatician
Immediate Supervisor / Reports to: Genomics Lead at National Reference Laboratory (NRL) Gaduwa and IHVN Lead of SECURE-NIGERIA sub-genomic component
Scheduled Work Times: Monday – Friday
Summary / Overview
- The Bioinformatician will responsible for the analysis of Next Generation Sequence (NGS) data from a variety of sequencing platforms using established and novel workflows in support of SARS-COV-2 sequencing and other genomic activities. Please refer to key areas of responsibilities for other responsibilities.
Key Areas of Responsibility
- Analyze Next Generation Sequence (NGS) data using established and novel workflows
- Maintain and develop our databases and documentation
- Contribute to scientific presentations and publications
- Provide bioinformatics and biocomputing training
- Communicate computational, statistical and biological concepts clearly and effectively to a diverse audience.
- Carry out variant identification, annotation and association analysis
- Create and manage scripts or workflows in R, Python, Perl, Bash and Snakemake
- Assist researchers with mining and analysis of diverse private and public databases
- The candidate will have received a PhD / MSc in Bioinformatics, Computational or Systems Biology, Physical or Computer Science or similar breadth of training.
- Candidates with a Bachelor of Science Honours Degree and 5+ years of directly related experience in a professional research environment working with bioinformatics tools will be considered.
- The candidate must have strong communication and writing skills in English.
The candidate is to have:
- Two or more years experience working with Linux in a High-Performance Computing Cluster (HPCC)
- Experience with the use of Next Generation Sequencing (NGS) applications as well setting up of pipelines / workflows
- Experience in big data, high-performance computing and application of machine learning techniques is an advantage
- Solid understanding of basic and advanced statistical approaches will be an advantage
- Experience in professional software development as part of a collaborative team is an advantage.
- Strong data visualization skills
- Proficiency in at least one programming language (e.g. Python, Perl, Java) and one statistical software (e.g. R, SAS)
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should send a detailed Resume and a one page Cover Letter as one MS Word document explaining suitability for the position to “Deputy Director, Human Resources” through this email address: [email protected] Application must explicitly state the position applied for in the subject of the email.
- Candidates are advised to provide three professional referees with email addresses and phone numbers.
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted
Application Deadline 13th September, 2021.