Première Urgence Internationale (PUI) is a non-governmental, non-profit, non-political and non-religious international aid organization. Our teams are committed to supporting civilians’ victims of marginalization and exclusion, or hit by natural disasters, wars and economic collapses, by answering their fundamental needs. Our aim is to provide emergency relief to uprooted people in order to help them recover their dignity and regain self-sufficiency.
The PUI Nigerian Mission has been officially opened in April 2016, with a focus on meeting urgent needs, including improving access to food commodities, primary health care and nutrition for Internally Displaced People (IDP) and host communities (HC) living in Maiduguri Metropolitan Council (MMC). The progressive sectorial widening allowed PUI to start implementing an integrated approach from 2017 in food security, livelihoods, and nutrition and health sectors, with the support of ECHO, FFP, OFDA and CIAA/CDC, in line with PUI’s global strategy. In mid-2018, PUI developed its comprehensive response by adding Protection and Community Outreach (PCO) activities to the existing programs in Bolori II. In 2018, PUI also scaled up its intervention with the opening of Monguno LGA base, with the main objectives of reducing morbidity and mortality of the most vulnerable population and promoting protection amongst the whole affected community.
The severity of the needs and the reduction of the humanitarian access make PUI positioning in Health and Nutrition crucial, especially in Monguno where PUI has taken over some core activities from ALIMA at the beginning of 2021, after they closed their program there. At the end of 2020, PUI launched an exploratory mission, along with INGO colleagues in Zamfara State (North West), and has developed a strategy for its upcoming intervention in the area. In 2022, PUI continues with its intervention as it considers the opening of PULKA field office, with the main objectives of reducing morbidity and mortality of the most vulnerable population and promoting protection amongst the whole affected community.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Administrative Officer
Location: Pulka – Gwoza LGA, Monguno – Borno
Employment Type: Full-time
About the Job
Treasury & Cash Follow-up:
- Control the management of the petty cash
- Ensure that the daily physical inventory of the petty cash is accurate, and report any discrepancies to his/her line manager
- Ensure availability of cash at coordination level and forecast any cash issue
- Prepare the weekly cash forecast and request at coordination level
- Prepare and validate any checks done at coordination level
- Monitor due dates for payments of contracts
- Follow-up with regular payments
- Guarantee security of the cash and confidentiality of information
Finance & Accounting Management:
- Check, before recording any entry, that the invoices are compliant with PUI’s regulations and procedures
- Record all expenses made through bank in the excel books on a daily basis, and to properly fill in the information needed (date, accounting code, project, budget code, etc.)
- Monitor the voucher process, and the quality of archiving of the invoices, as per the donor’s rules and regulations
- Guarantee the quality of the archiving process at coordination level
- Consolidate and check the accuracy of data of coordination accountancy
- Prepare the monthly accounting closure for the coordination
- Participate in the consolidation of budget follow-ups
- Prepare the weekly financial forecast of the coordination, compile it, and send it to the Finance Coordinator for validation
- Collect all invoices exempted from the VAT
- Issue a monthly With Holding Tax report
- Prepare the bank reconciliation at the end of each month
- Prepare the annual closing documents for the coordination
- Prepare the external audit visits (donor and coordination visits)
Human Resources and Administrative Follow-up:
- Ensure the compliance with HR policies and procedures
- Ensure that HR databases and follow-up tools are updated on a regular base, including but not limited to Payroll, Leaves Follow-up and Organizational Chart
- Follow up of administrative documents and track personnel files deadlines (probation period, appraisals, contracts, amendments, ID cards etc…)
- Ensure that all staff are enrolled in the social and medical covers provided by PUI
- Follow up of attendance, days off and leaves
- Ensure fulfilment of salaries’ process (salary advances, pay slips signatures…)
- Ensure the preparation of contracts (new recruitments, contract extensions or renewals) and the awareness of the employees of contract terms and conditions, internal HR policy and PUI other policies
- For each end of contract, ensure that the exit process is followed as per written in the ISR
- Supervise the filing and archiving process and ensure the security of physical and digital documents
- Support in meeting: preparation, minutes records…etc.
- Monitor the preparation of HR files for any internal/external audit.
- With the HR Coordinator, support departments in the implementation of HR tools and procedures on a daily base
- Plan and supervise tasks of the teams on a weekly base
- Enable the team members to achieve their duties, by giving them appropriate briefings on their tasks and job description and by reporting any training or logistics needs to the HR manager
- Ensure an effective dissemination of information between HR manager and the teams
- Solve team conflicts and ensure team building.
- Update the leave plan for the teams
- With the HR Coordinator support, conduct appraisals and define and follow-up objectives for team’s member in order to improve their performance
- With the support of the HR Coordinator, train the HR team on HR component
- Support the Admin manager in the staff’s recruitment
- Ensure that the team complies with PUI policies and procedures, including security rules
- Ensure that all recruitment done at base level are in compliance with PUI procedures
- When requested, support the managers in the recruitment process (applications shortlisting, interviews etc.)
- Ensure the proper filing of all recruitment files
- With the support of the Admin Manager, ensure all new employee’s induction
Internal and external coordination:
- With the support of the Field Co, enable an effective collaboration with the various departments as well as with the Coordination and others bases
- When requested, participate to external HR working group
- When required, provide support to the finance team of the different bases
- When requested, support the finance coordinator in finance staff recruitment
- Support in identifying external training sources
- In collaboration with the HR Coordinator, gather the training needs of the various departments
- When requested, conduct internal trainings related to HR rules and policies
Specific Objectives and Associated Actions
Ensure Human Resources Management of the Base:
- S/he works in collaboration with the Field Coordinator and HR coordinator to set up Human Resources (HR) procedures and management tools in compliance with the labour regulations of the country of intervention, the internal staff regulations (ISR) as well as the HR guidelines, and monitors risks associated with HR issues in the base.
- S/he works, under the responsibility of the Field Coordinator, and in link with other departments’ heads on reviews / optimization of the HR structure of the base.
- S/he implements HR rules, procedures and tools in the base regarding: new HR regulations, national staff contracts, procedures of recruitment, payroll operations, implementation of appropriate working conditions, HR records electronic and physical records.
- S/he ensures the administrative management of national staff, in particular, payroll operations, monitoring absences, the construction, updating and archiving of personnel files.
- S/he assumes or delegates responsibility for the integration of any new employees at the base, and ensures, in particular, that logistical, administrative, HR and financial procedures, as well as procedures for the use of communication and transportation are explained and understood.
- S/he suggests possible updates to the ISR in terms of rules, procedures and tools relating to recruitment, remuneration, administrative management, disciplinary aspects and management of individual career development within the organisation.
- S/he controls and monitors the implementation of the tools and procedures and provides the necessary support to perform the service.
- S/he contributes to the organisation of recruitment (provisional planning, advertisement, applications, and interviews) for all departments.
- S/he participates in the hiring process, as well as in any decisions related to the termination of employment contracts of national employees at base level.
- S/he ensures compliance with PUI’s internal rules of procedure at base level.
- S/he ensures that all national employees are subject to a written evaluation as per PUI Nigeria internal guidelines.
- S/he completes training programmes for the national staff (administrative aspects, logistical regarding procedures) on and as needs basis.
- S/he handles the management of interpersonal conflicts that arise on his/her base, and refers the matter to the field coordinator, in the event that s/he is not able to resolve dispute.
- S/he ensures a follow up of employees’ careers for the national staff, in collaboration with the project managers, Logistician and Field Coordinator.
- S/he is the guardian of the image of PUI in his/her area of operation, and in that capacity ensures that the entire staff under his/her authority displays behaviour consistent with the values upheld by the organization, and with full respect for the local culture.
Ensure Financial, Budgetary, Accounting and Administrative Management of the Base:
- S/he works in collaboration with the Finance Coordinator to set up aspects related to finance, including budgetary, accounting and treasury elements at the base.
- S/he ensures the setting up and proper use of tools and procedures for financial, accounting and budget management in the base: accounting procedures, accounting records, SAGA, budgets follow up, allocation tables, budget projections, cash forecasts, cash management and cash security.
- S/he is responsible for cost optimisation; and uses budget tracking to achieve this; s/he ensures adequate financial resources for the running of the base.
- S/he organises and provides training to the administrative national staff in the base on these tools and procedures
- S/he makes sure that these tools and procedures are understood and applied by the national staff.
- S/he controls and monitors the implementation of the tools and procedures and provides the necessary support to perform the service.
- S/he provides a technical support to the base regarding financial tools and develops tools to implement the administrative services in the base.
- S/he organises the preparation of audits at base level, under supervision of the Finance Coordinator.
- S/he contributes to the preparation of grant proposals and drafts the budgets for the base.
- Under the direct supervision of the Field Coordinator and the support from the Finance Coordinator and/or the HR Coordinator s/he follows the implementation of Nigerian administrative regulations at base level and interacts with field level administrations on that regard.
- Regarding budgetary monitoring, s/he participates in team-based analysis (along with technical, administrative and logistics management) and is responsible for detecting anomalies and proposing adjustments to the field coordinator and to the Finance Coordinator.
- S/he ensures that accounting entries are completed in compliance with internal rules, and communicated to the Finance Coordinator according to the agreed calendar, after endorsement by the Field Coordinator.
- Together with the Finance Coordinator and the Field Coordinator, S/he tracks the cash flow for his/her base, and oversees disbursements.
- Together with the Finance Coordinator and the Field Coordinator, S/he ensures that a system of internal oversight is in place at the base. S/he ensures compliance with procedures for undertaking expenditure commitments, and participates in the process of endorsing purchase orders.
- S/he is the guardian of the bookkeeping, and in that capacity makes sure that cash balances and bank accounts (if applicable) are absolutely and permanently backed up by appropriate accounting documents.
Ensure Reporting and Dissemination of Information:
- S/he ensures efficient flow of information to the Field Coordinator, Finance Coordinator and HR Coordinator, and, if necessary, to the programme team, to the logistics team, and to the Head of Mission.
- S/he sends the internal and external reports to the immediate supervisor, while meeting internal deadlines for endorsement (monthly logistical reports / accountancy/ returns on budgetary monitoring / cash flow estimates).
- S/he attends internal coordination meetings, and participates actively in them.
- If necessary and by delegation from the Field Coordinator, the Finance Coordinator or the HR Coordinator, S/he represents the association with partners, local authorities and various actors involved in the financial, administrative, legal and human resource aspects of the mission.
- S/he drafts or participates in the drafting of reports on internal operations in all matters concerning his/her field of action in financial, budgetary, accounting and HR management of the mission.
- S/he supports the manager(s) in the base in the performance of their administrative activities, in a functional, not hierarchical, relationship.
Ensure the Management of the Administrative Department:
- S/he ensures the direct supervision and 50% management of the Logistics & Admin Assistant.
- S/he ensures the setting of objectives to be achieved by the administrative department and tracks their realization, and leads the staff appraisal.
- S/he ensures or delegates responsibility for the integration of new staff within the administrative department, ensuring the relevant tools and procedures, and PUI policies are well understood.
- S/he prepares the job profiles of local staff under his/her immediate supervision.
- S/he contributes to the decision making process regarding any termination of employment contracts.
N.B: The tasks and responsibilities defined in this job description are non-exhaustive and can evolve depending on the project’s needs.
Priorities of the Department
- Implementing the main PUI tools and processes in both HR and Finance (FFU, payroll, etc.)
- Capacity building of the administrative team and of all the staff in general in terms of Finance/HR processes and procedures (including finalization of pending recruitments within his/her team).
- Support and guide the managers in sizing and recruiting the teams for the Logistics and Program departments
- Minimum of Bachelor’s Degree in Admin / Finance / Accounting or other related fields.
- Minimum of 2 years of experience in HR and Finance management in the field with a Humanitarian INGO
Knowledge and skills:
- Team management
- Good management capacities and team leadership spirit
- Good analytical and writing skills
- Administrative and managerial skills
- Good analytical and writing skills.
- Good knowledge of the MS office software including Word, Outlook. Excellent in Excel, Saga and SharePoint (Desirable).
- Strong motivation to help people in need. Proven working experience in humanitarian organization.
- Independence, ability to take initiatives, sense of responsibilities
- Good resistance to stress
- Pragmatism, objectivity and an ability to take a step back and analyze
- Ability to provide/structure instructions clearly and concisely both orally and in writing
- A high sense of discretion and integrity when dealing with sensitive HR information
- High degree of responsibility, initiative, alertness, emotional stability, the ability to prioritize a heavy workload and to delegate accordingly
- Problem solving and leadership skills
- Ability to work independently while taking initiatives and showing a sense of responsibility
- Sense of diplomacy and negotiation
- Analytical skills
- Organization, rigor and ability to prioritize and meet deadlines
- Ability to manage people remotely
- Ability to work in volatile and secluded contexts
- Professional attitude and the ability to build successful working relationships with contacts outside of the projects. Demonstrate an integrated approach and attitude through normal work activities and a thorough understanding of community-based protection issues in the country of operation
- Self-motivated, flexible and adaptable to the needs of the team and organization
- Strong commitment to support/develop capacity of national staff and developing second layer of leadership
- Team player: proven management ability and inter-personal skills
- Excellent communication skills
- Fluent in English (speaking & writing). Good knowledge of local languages (Hausa / Kanuri… etc.).
N450,000 – N500,000 / Month
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
Application Deadline 7th October, 2022.